• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Road & Track Livestreams A Test Drive Of The P5. And The Fender Falls Off... :(

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Keep in mind, this is not a production model. I know from reading your posts that you are very mechanically inclined. So, we know EM plans to use the same tranny for the manual and auto transmission. Do you think a 12V servo (or how ever an AMT works) could shift the transmission in the automatic version of the manual that you have hands on experience with? Doesn't sound like it to me. I value your opinion, So do you have any thoughts?
Thank you for the vote of confidence. I believe the manual transmission I experienced is fully capable of shifting smoothly with no problem, whether it be by humans or a 12V servo. I believe the problem I experienced was a result of the shifting linkage adjustment. The shift stick connects to probably two sheathed cables that connect to the transmission. There are certain adjustments that need to be made for these to operate smoothly. The problem I experienced was in the adjustment (I believe) (which should have been made). I believe an automated version of the transmission will work fine.

So far this vehicle has been designed by a committee of suppliers. Roush is the final check to make sure the committee's design will be sound, and will send up big red flags to EM is there is a problem.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
<snip>
So far this vehicle has been designed by a committee of suppliers. Roush is the final check to make sure the committee's design will be sound, and will send up big red flags to EM is there is a problem.
Where did you get that information from? I'd like to see it.
Roush is NOT the final check.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What Roush told me, in person, was that they are concerned only with the "corners of the car." They added that they were glad Paul is an engineer unlike most of their clients, so "he respects the science" and will listen to Roush "at least some of the time."

That doesn't sound like Roush has final approval of anything, let alone everything. This conversation took place last Saturday, so it's current.

Last edited:

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What Roush told me, in oerson, was that they are concerned only with the "corners of the car." The added gh5at they were gkad Paul is an engineern unlike mist of their clients, so "he respects the science" and will listen to Roush "at keast some of the time."

That doesn't sound like Roush has final approval of anythibg, let alone everything.
LOL... I think your keyboard threw up. :twitch:

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score

All ultimate decisions will be made by EM. It is their project and their money. It appears the vehicle was designed by a committee of suppliers who know their components better than anyone else. However that does not mean they know how their component and other supplier’s components will work together as a whole. This is where Roush comes in. They will evaluation the vehicle as a whole, alert EM of problems, and probably propose alternative designs. It is of course up to EM to make the final decision regarding implementing these changes. Roush is the final authority/expert regarding the roadworthiness of the vehicle. I doubt anyone on EM team knows better than they. That is why EM hired them.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
All ultimate decisions will be made by EM. It is their project and their money. It appears the vehicle was designed by a committee of suppliers who know their components better than anyone else. However that does not mean they know how their component and other supplier’s components will work together as a whole. This is where Roush comes in. They will evaluation the vehicle as a whole, alert EM of problems, and probably propose alternative designs. It is of course up to EM to make the final decision regarding implementing these changes. Roush is the final authority/expert regarding the roadworthiness of the vehicle. I doubt anyone on EM team knows better than they. That is why EM hired them.

Pistonboy knows some stuff for sure [anybody that owns a 914 is okay with me!]. We [Boeing] have a thing the call "First Article Verification" on new parts to verify the fit and function of the new part will work in the assembly. Using that method of thinking, I think there'll be input from all the "experts", but the final input will be given by the fleet sales drivers in real-world situations. Their input will be taken into consideration, and Elio slightly "tweaked" to get the desired result. I seriously doubt [and pray] that there will be any "significant" changes to the E5 design, if for no other reason that the expenditure required to do so. The again, an F-15 will run you around $80 million, so there could be errors in my thinking when it comes to autocycles.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Have you talked to Roush? If so, who? Have you talked to the people at EM (above the help desk level) who was it you talked to? Or did you read this somewhere? If you read it, I want to see it also.
Did you read what EKH had to say in post #203? Here's the link http://www.elioowners.com/threads/r...the-fender-falls-off.7546/page-21#post-160523

Once you read what EKH had to say, I hope you open your eyes and your brain to the truth. Roush does not have as much control as you think they do.

Top Bottom