• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Safety Question

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yikes, his hand went straight through the window before pulling it back. Think I'll stick with the hammer. Just my preference.
True. However, the Center punch is very small and easy to keep in a car with very limited space. Once the window is broken though, it is extremely unlikely to cause any more than the most superficial of scratches if any at all. If, say, you rolled the car into the lake and regained consciousness as it filled with water... Well, ever try to.I've fast under water like to punch someone? You may have some trouble swinging a ha.met in that case. I know... what if.. what if... But, it makes my wife feel safer so it's a center punch for her.

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Your driving down the road in your family car, you move over to center sticking your head over the line just a tiny bit, trying to get an idea if it is safe to pass.
Now try this with your Elio.
DOUGH! There goes the left front tire.:rolleyes: Just a thought.
This is not a safety issue with the car it's self. Just something to think about.

Last edited:

3 Card

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Back in the late 80's, early 90's, I had a Chevy Sprint, which was a small, 3-cylinder commuter car. My wife was never a big fan, but I thought it was great (50 MPG on the highway). She was glad when I got a GEO Prizm in 95. When I showed he the Elio, she had an interesting question, which I don't think has been addressed. Suppose you have an accident and the vehicle tips over onto the left side, blocking the door. How do you get out? I suppose I invest in one of those escape hammers, but that's not the answer I want to give her? anyone thought about this?
Windshields are glued in now days.. not hard, actually easy to kick out..Passenger window rolls down..Being in the front seat does not worry me, Now the same question but you are in the rear passenger seat, maybe add a serious injury to the driver, maybe some fire ?????????????????

ST13Fred

Elio Addict
Reaction score
.....you move over to center sticking your head over the line just a tiny bit, trying to get an idea if it is safe to pass.
Now try this with your Elio.

Sounds like you're driving way too close to the vehicle in front of you if you're crossing the center line to look down the road. Just a thought.

Taking the mirror into account, there is much more body of a conventional car beyond the tire center than the Elio tire center.
My guess is the driver is less than 15" farther from the L/H tire than a conventional vehicle.

Elio's 'outrigger' front end has advantages from a driver stand point over conventional cars......dodging pot holes being one. But its all good. Go Elio.

Last edited:

3 Card

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Windshields are glued in now days.. not hard, actually easy to kick out..Passenger window rolls down..Being in the front seat does not worry me, Now the same question but you are in the rear passenger seat, maybe add a serious injury to the driver, maybe some fire ?????????????????
Ps to this..I'd gladly pay the cost difference to delete the back seat and adding a right door

3 Card

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Above Elio.jpg
Above Elio.jpg
While that would be convenient, I'd rather have it like it is now than to compromise the frame.
Looks like a simple thing from looking down, especially ater Elio announced a sunroof would be an option..

Top Bottom