• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Secondary Source For Warrantied Service?

Muzhik

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't know how any of this stuff works, so please forgive me if this is a nube question. I understand that EM has an agreement with Pep Boys to provide warranty service. My problem is that I live about 300 miles from the nearest Pep Boys outlet. I'm very fond of my current mechanic, who owns and operates Another National Chain. My question is if the deal EM has with Pep Boys MUST be exclusive, or if another place can be contracted to offer warranty service if there is no Pep Boys within X miles of your location?

champsman

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't know how any of this stuff works, so please forgive me if this is a nube question. I understand that EM has an agreement with Pep Boys to provide warranty service. My problem is that I live about 300 miles from the nearest Pep Boys outlet. I'm very fond of my current mechanic, who owns and operates Another National Chain. My question is if the deal EM has with Pep Boys MUST be exclusive, or if another place can be contracted to offer warranty service if there is no Pep Boys within X miles of your location?

EM has stated that a second service company was going to be located for those of us in the same situation as you and me

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Currently there is a deal going on that there are 2 new buyers for Pep Boys; one of them is Bridgestone and Enchon. If Bridgestone wins out, they also own Firestone so that might be the next logical choice; Enchon owns Parts Plus (I think) or some other car parts/service chain. So any announcement on who the second source for Warranty service will come after all that dust settles.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Woohoo! Hopefully that will make service options more plentiful! Firestone is only 3 miles away for me, Pep Boys is 30...

both Firestone and Pep Boys stores are plentiful in our home area ..... I can't help but wonder if they will both do warranty work for EM

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
both Firestone and Pep Boys stores are plentiful in our home area ..... I can't help but wonder if they will both do warranty work for EM
I think it would depend if Bridgestone is going to honor the deal the EM worked out with Pep Boys; they should. I think what EM is going to have to do is go in and renew talks for an agreement to include the Firestone locations. It may be also that you use Firestone only if a Pep Boys is not in your area and not just all of them. All of this is "maybe", "could be" and "we'll see" possibilities

ks6c

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think it would depend if Bridgestone is going to honor the deal the EM worked out with Pep Boys; they should. I think what EM is going to have to do is go in and renew talks for an agreement to include the Firestone locations. It may be also that you use Firestone only if a Pep Boys is not in your area and not just all of them. All of this is "maybe", "could be" and "we'll see" possibilities
Like so many things Elio, time will tell...

Muzhik

Elio Addict
Reaction score
@WilliamH, I think you hit the magic number on the head. While you or I might consider 50 miles to be a reasonable number (since that's about an hour's drive away), a corporation would probably consider 100 miles to be reasonable, since you could have your auto towed that far if necessary.

Top Bottom