• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Send Email To Dop To Show Support For Elio Motors Loan.

tonyspumoni

Elio Addict
Reaction score
After I thought a bit about this a new potential threat to the ATVM loan progress emerged - the threat of a government shutdown owing to discord amongst our elected representatives over the issue of immigration. If the government gets shut down, review of the Elio application will pause until it opens for business again.

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
After I thought a bit about this a new potential threat to the ATVM loan progress emerged - the threat of a government shutdown owing to discord amongst our elected representatives over the issue of immigration. If the government gets shut down, review of the Elio application will pause until it opens for business again.

There's as much chance of a shutdown as there is of a 'Turbo' Elio in year (1).......................
upload_2014-11-23_14-0-25.jpeg

tonyspumoni

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I too doubt that the immigration spat will lead to a shutdown, but every major news organization is suggesting based on comments from elected representatives that it is being considered. And if it does come to pass, the ATMV loan review will languish. I hope cooler, wiser heads prevail.

tonyspumoni

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The following information comes directly from the document at DOE providing guidance for applicants on the process. While the information is organized in four bullets it would be an oversimplification to view this as a four-step process. For the entire document, including the section specficially stating conditions under which the Elio qualifies as an ATVM vehicle, please see (http://energy.gov/sites/prod/files/...r-Applicants-Final-Version-October-5-2012.pdf).

1) Application Intake Process. Once the applicant has submitted the application to the ATVMLP (see Section II above), the ATVMLP will expeditiously review the application to determine whether it contains all of the information required by 10 CFR 611.101. The ATVMLP will notify the applicant if the applicant must submit any additional information or if the application is substantially complete. Once the application is deemed to be substantially complete, the ATVMLP will conduct an initial assessment of the technical and financial aspects of the application in order to determine whether the application will be moved to preliminary due diligence. If the ATVMLP determines not to move the application to preliminary due diligence, the application will be rejected and no further action taken by the ATVMLP.

2) Preliminary Due Diligence/Preliminary Terms and Conditions. If the application is moved to preliminary due diligence, the ATVMLP will (i) conduct a preliminary evaluation of the technical, financial, legal and other aspects of the application and (ii) conduct a review of the eligibility of the vehicle/component, applicant and project costs (see Section I above for further information on eligibility requirements). If the preliminary application evaluation and eligibility review are not satisfactory to the ATVMLP, the application will be rejected and no further action taken by the ATVMLP. If the preliminary application evaluation and eligibility review are satisfactory to the ATVMLP, then the ATVMLP will provide the applicant with the preliminary terms and conditions of the proposed ATVM loan. The preliminary terms and conditions will not constitute a CCL. Instead, they will form the basis of negotiations towards a CCL. If the applicant agrees to the preliminary terms and conditions, the application will be moved to advanced due diligence. If the applicant does not agree to the preliminary terms and conditions, the application will be rejected and no further action taken by the ATVMLP.

3) Advanced Due Diligence/Conditional Commitment Letter. If the application is moved to advanced due diligence, the ATVMLP will (i) conduct full due diligence on all technical, financial, legal and other aspects of the application and (ii) provide the applicant with a draft CCL attaching the terms and conditions of the proposed ATVM loan. Please note that the terms and conditions of the CCL may differ from the preliminary terms and conditions. Once the CCL is in final agreed form and assuming that the ATVMLP is satisfied with the results of its due diligence to date, the ATVMLP will submit the CCL to the appropriate departmental and governmental authorities for review and approval. If the CCL is approved, DOE will issue an executed copy of the CCL to the applicant for countersigning. Once the CCL has been countersigned, DOE will be conditionally committed to closing the ATVM loan, subject to (i) the finalization of loan documents, (ii) DOE’s satisfaction with the final results of its due diligence and (iii) DOE’s satisfaction that all other conditions precedent and requirements specified in the CCL have been met. DOE’s commitment will also be subject to any expiration or termination provisions that may be included in the CCL.

4) Advanced Due Diligence/Loan Documents and Closing. After the CCL has been issued and countersigned, the ATVMLP will (i) continue to its due diligence on all technical, financial, legal and other aspects of the application and (ii) provide the applicant with a draft loan agreement and other loan documents. Closing will not occur unless (i) all loan documents are in final agreed form, (ii) DOE is satisfied with the final results of its due diligence and (iii) DOE is satisfied that all other conditions precedent and requirements specified in the CCL and loan documents have been met. Please note that the final terms and conditions of the ATVM loan may differ from the terms and conditions of the CCL.

tonyspumoni

Elio Addict
Reaction score
According to the DOE ATVM application guidance, the Elio qualifies explicitly as a ATVM Ultra Efficienct Vehicle. The conditions are curious, however, and bear closer inspection because of something I believe the guidance tells us. This document defines an ultra efficient vehicle "as fully closed compartment vehicle designed to carry at least two (2) adult passengers that achieves either (x) at least 75 miles per gallon while operating on gasoline".

Let's say that the board cared more about making a lot of money and less about adhering to Paul's vision for the Elio. One way for Paul and his allies to ensure this adherce is...to apply for the ATVM loan. Why? Because if the Elio doesn't promise at LEAST 75 mpg, it no longer qualifies for the loan.

Now it would be genius for them to have applied for ATVM as a way to ensure adherence to Paul's design goals, but the paradoxical effect is that we can assume that the Elio will offer at least 75 MPG.

Top Bottom