• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Send Email To Dop To Show Support For Elio Motors Loan.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
When you read the regulations for the loan program, Elio qualifies for the loan as a high mileage vehicle.

I openly admit that I haven't read the regs but can say that I have no plans to do so ...:rolleyes:... I also admit to finding it a bit difficult to follow the logic of folks who aren't involved in the process saying that EM doesn't qualify for the program .... while I'm not in any way an Elio cheerleader, I find it impossible to believe that EM would invest the time, money, and the certain risk of looking bad in the market for applying for a loan that they don't qualify for

BADBOY

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I am still focusing on the 500 a day production: 500 divided by 8 hours= 62.5 per hour or better than one a minute. whooee. Seems like it would take more than a minute to connect the wiring.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I am still focusing on the 500 a day production: 500 divided by 8 hours= 62.5 per hour or better than one a minute. whooee. Seems like it would take more than a minute to connect the wiring.

some stations will take more, some less .... example : I'd bet that the stations were the frame is built by computer controlled robot welders will take a few seconds

Edward

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Was 500 per day in one shift or two? In 2 shifts, that would be 16 hours of production. That gives you 2 minutes per car, spread out over a number of stations and possibly multiple line workers per station.

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Vehicle production assembly line will be relatively simple once all the procedures, machinery and personnel are set up and fine tuned. The kicker will be engine machining and assembly. They're going to need a couple of dozen or more machining stations if they're going to take raw cast blocks, heads, cam covers and no doubt other parts to assembly ready. Plus plasma spray if that is to be done in house. Plus crankshaft and camshaft machining. Going to be tough to turn out 2 complete engines per minute.

Cache Man

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Just as added trivia...

"War production profoundly changed American industry. Companies already engaged in defense work expanded. Others, like the automobile industry, were transformed completely.

- In 1941, more than three million cars were manufactured in the United States. Only 139 more were made during the entire war.
- Instead, Chrysler made fuselages. General Motors made airplane engines, guns, trucks and tanks. Packard made Rolls-Royce engines for the British air force.

And at its vast Willow Run plant in Ypsilanti, Michigan, the Ford Motor Company performed something like a miracle 24-hours a day. The average Ford car had some 15,000 parts. The B-24 Liberator long-range bomber had 1,550,000. One came off the line every 63 minutes."

http://www.pbs.org/thewar/at_home_war_production.htm

ELIO can do this!

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score

It is all about balancing how long it takes each production step to take. We have an engineer who worked at the Shreveport GM plant as one of our members, Ty. He tells us that GM had a much more complicated truck roll off the assembly line every 52 seconds which is about 69.5 vehicles per hour or about 10% more than EM's goal.

Last edited:

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
while working in RV sales, I toured bunches of assembly plants .... one concept I learned quickly is if a plant is turning out a vehicle very 2 minutes, that doesn't mean it takes 2 minutes to make the vehicle .... to determine how long it takes just to build it, one must find out how long elapses between the time the first component starts down the line until the vehicle with that component rolls off the line .... a factory turning out a vehicle every two minutes simply means that their manufacturing process is sufficiently large enough and is structured so that it can make that happen

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
while working in RV sales, I toured bunches of assembly plants .... one concept I learned quickly is if a plant is turning out a vehicle very 2 minutes, that doesn't mean it takes 2 minutes to make the vehicle .... to determine how long it takes just to build it, one must find out how long elapses between the time the first component starts down the line until the vehicle with that component rolls off the line .... a factory turning out a vehicle every two minutes simply means that their manufacturing process is sufficiently large enough and is structured so that it can make that happen

Exactly, Jim. We're on a 20-day cycle, but it takes 18 months to build one unit, machining to flying over the fence.

Last edited:
Top Bottom