• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Should Elio Offer An Ecu Tuned For Higher Hp?

jtmarten

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see the customizations and aftermarket stuff available for Elio. I'm not interested in aftermarket HP increases because they usually void the warrantee.

Edit: If the Elio has 55hp and 1,200lb that's a Power-to-Weight Ratio (PWR) of 0.0458hp/lb. A 1995 Honda Odyssey’s PWR is 0.0408 (140hp, 3435lbs) and it is reported to do 0-60 in 10.1 seconds. The Elio's slightly better should PWR should allow it to achieve 0-60 around 9.6s.

PWR is generally reported in lbs/hp, or 21.8lbs/hp for the Elio. (assuming 1200lbs, 55hp)

jtmarten

Elio Addict
Reaction score
At 1000lbs (850lbs + 150lb driver) and 70hp the power to weight is inline with my 1988 Lotus Esprit Turbo. What more do you want?

Not sure where you've seen the Elio reported as 850lbs, every data set I've seen lists it around 1250, and currently the engine is slated to make 55hp.

ccryder

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Elio Hp/lb is better than my 2011 Fiesta. The Fiesta gives me good power pulling onto a highway or even passing on a two-lane. If it reaches 84mpg then that's even better!

tenbsmith

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think KScarguy is suggesting that people are buying up Elio-related website names to use for sell aftermarket parts once the Elio comes out.

DScott

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Elio should offer an OEM option that changes the programming of the Engine Control Unit to provide higher horsepower--this would likely result in lower MPG for this version. Many potential Elio buyers want high mpg above all else, which is why this should be an option. On the other hand, many potential buyers would happily loose a few MPG if they could get a few HP. This sort of buyer would gladly pay a bit more for an Elio with more HP that required premium gas. With a relatively small upfront investment, this could woo additional buyers to purchase a higher profit-margin version of the Elio.

Anyhow, that's what I think, what do you think?
YES, I would definitely pay a little more for 10 more horses.how much difference in MPG could it really make?

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think KScarguy is suggesting that people are buying up Elio-related website names to use for sell aftermarket parts once the Elio comes out.
Thank you for explaining that. It helps. Of course the draw for me is $6800 and 84 mpg. I know I will have to pay extra for cruise control and trailer hitch but hopefully not too much more.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I could see myself buying an aftermarket ECU controller if it allows me to select more power when I want it or more fuel economy when I want that. I have seen this type of controller available for many other vehicles so I hope someone is willing to make one for the Elio and sell it for a reasonable price.

jetpack54

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I could see myself buying an aftermarket ECU controller if it allows me to select more power when I want it or more fuel economy when I want that. I have seen this type of controller available for many other vehicles so I hope someone is willing to make one for the Elio and sell it for a reasonable price.
From what I gather, the IAV will be a "detuned" 3 cylinder engine bringing the horses to 55 and potentially meeting the 84 mpg goal. That means it can be "retuned" to increases the horses. :cool:

Top Bottom