• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Should Elio Offer An Ecu Tuned For Higher Hp?

Coda1

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ment to say a larger cc 3 cylinder motor like a 1.8 ltr 3 banger pounding out about 90 hp
It doesn't need 90hp. Of the three cars I've owned only one was over 90hp. They aren't going to met their price or mileage goals with a 90hp engine.

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It doesn't need 90hp. Of the three cars I've owned only one was over 90hp. They aren't going to met their price or mileage goals with a 90hp engine.
Coda!, welcome to the forum and the Elio family. Here you will find all the latest information, rumors, facts, and fantasies. The members are very friendly and helpful and some a little sarcastic but not mean. You will find hours of entertainment here until production begins on our Elio's. Welcome to the Elio experience.

3 Card

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think 70HP and a little more torque would make this car pretty peppy and still get decent economy especially if they incorporate a sport\economy mode with paddle shifters with the AMT if this doable..

Ray
I'll be happy to see an Elio produced, pee on trailers, bigger motors, go fast mode buttons etc.. So far for $2000.00 I ain't got nuttin..

3 Card

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The goal is to get it produced within the original concept to keep it at the $6800 price range
I know that however I'd pay 7k for one if it only gets 70 mpg, if getting 84 mpg requires another 3 years of , p models, P4 now, Really not interested in waiting for p350 or so..

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Absolutely agree. Time marches on and some of us may not be around three years from now. I want to be able to drive my Elio in my lifetime and not pass my reservation on to my heirs

Malina

Elio Fan
Reaction score
How about a dual program control where you can switch from performance to economy! That would satisfy everyone! Get in the car and before you start with the push of a button you have a performance machine or a nice economy car!

H2odog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Elio should offer an OEM option that changes the programming of the Engine Control Unit to provide higher horsepower--this would likely result in lower MPG for this version. Many potential Elio buyers want high mpg above all else, which is why this should be an option. On the other hand, many potential buyers would happily loose a few MPG if they could get a few HP. This sort of buyer would gladly pay a bit more for an Elio with more HP that required premium gas. With a relatively small upfront investment, this could woo additional buyers to purchase a higher profit-margin version of the Elio.

Anyhow, that's what I think, what do you think?
There are some that would(maybe a group of under 35 street racers). However, most of us are all here for the original Elio specification! Making those kinds of changes at this point would only delay and add to the cost of the Elio we wish to see. Given a vote I would vote an emphatic NO! If you would like to apply yourself and learn a bit about mechanics and super tune your Elio, I say go for it! But don't ask Elio to do this for you at the expense of others!

H2odog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
How about a dual program control where you can switch from performance to economy! That would satisfy everyone! Get in the car and before you start with the push of a button you have a performance machine or a nice economy car!
How about NOT! Please see post #48

KN16

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There are some that would(maybe a group of under 35 street racers). However, most of us are all here for the original Elio specification! Making those kinds of changes at this point would only delay and add to the cost of the Elio we wish to see. Given a vote I would vote an emphatic NO! If you would like to apply yourself and learn a bit about mechanics and super tune your Elio, I say go for it! But don't ask Elio to do this for you at the expense of others!
It will almost certainly be done. Not in the first year or two they'd be foolish not to. And it won't hurt the base cost. If anything it will help them hold it down if they have other streams of income.

Top Bottom