• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Should Elio Offer An Ecu Tuned For Higher Hp?

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If the electric spool up was combined with a variable vane turbo it would not be much of a hindrance to airflow, but again it would put the setup FAR out of the elio price range.

ICE engines have come a LONG way in the last 20 years, but most of the huge advances cost big $$$ to implement on a particular engine platform putting many of them well outside the elio's grasp at a sub $10K price point.(when all kitted up)
True... Nitrous!!!! I wonder how far the hood would go when the engine detonates...

Horn

Elio Addict
Reaction score
No....not at the beginning.

Let say hypothetically they offer one with a little more power. It will be so little that it won't bring people to buy them for power. If you wan't more takeoff power, you could put smaller tires on it.

I would say get some models out in the market first before you worry about other things.

Keith Stone

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I am thinkin a tow haul button that prorates 10-20 more horse power be nice when hauling a trailer or a little boost needed...after all they say the motor is derated for best economy?
I could sacrirfice a little mpg if hauling a small trailer for passing power or for a mtn pull, i think most could agree.

Brian1362

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I am thinkin a tow haul button that prorates 10-20 more horse power be nice when hauling a trailer or a little boost needed...after all they say the motor is derated for best economy?
I could sacrirfice a little mpg if hauling a small trailer for passing power or for a mtn pull, i think most could agree.
+1

I would go for this, as well.

By the way, I apologize for the flame I threw when you couldn't find "Cooper Tires" on the list of suppliers. It had been a LONG ten days for me, and I should have adjusted my replies accordingly.

Carroll Whittle

Elio Fan
Reaction score
LOL I bet someone will drop a V8 into one, which would be absolute stupidity considering what would have to be done for that type of mod. It can't be transversely mounted like an Olds Aurora or Caddy NorthStar V8 (way too wide for the Elio chassis). Would have to be installed longitudinally, so now you need a trans hump, or a rear trans/diff out of a Corvette, which would require an additional rear wheel. Ehhh, somehow I don't see that happening.
The Elio would be fantastic with 90-110hp.
Why cant people just enjoy the ELIO for what it is already......drive it at 65-70...keep it clean and do regular maintenance and you will love it as I will....just the way it is....no changes for me and it will last me a lifetime like all my other cars and trucks and motorcycles.....and I am very persnickety about my vehicles....I have a nine year old Chevy Colorado....26000 miles...never been on dirt roads...showroom shine always...original air filter...clean as a pin...wash and wax every two weeks....and will do the same with my ELIO.....it will stay new.....

Edward

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Why cant people just enjoy the ELIO for what it is already......drive it at 65-70...keep it clean and do regular maintenance and you will love it as I will....just the way it is....no changes for me and it will last me a lifetime like all my other cars and trucks and motorcycles.....and I am very persnickety about my vehicles....I have a nine year old Chevy Colorado....26000 miles...never been on dirt roads...showroom shine always...original air filter...clean as a pin...wash and wax every two weeks....and will do the same with my ELIO.....it will stay new.....
Well, let's see. At 70mph, I'd get run over on Colorado's 75mph highways. As far as dirt roads... I tend to work on dirt roads. I try to park away from the action, but my car is usually filthy by the end of the day. If my car looks like that parked a quarter mile away, I'd hate to imagine what my lungs must look like!

MW

Elio Fan
Reaction score
I hate to sound like a codger here, but put me in the "keep it as a commuter vehicle" camp.

If someone is truly interested in getting a "performance" vehicle, the first $3,000-$4,000 should be invested in driving lessons at a school such as Bob Bondurants or Skip Barbers. There is SO much more to increasing "performance" than just "upping horsepower". Do you want more low end performance or high end performance? Often it is hard to have both. And then, with a more torquey engine will the originally specified brakes and driveline still remain reliable for 100K? With more HP are you going to have to resize the tires? Going with a fatter tire will increase the rolling resistance and probably also increase the frontal area.

And the list goes on and on...

Anyway, rant off but just wanted to try and explain that changing one parameter is darn near always going to affect a whole lot more than that, but if your goal is better performance in all situations and under all conditions spend some serious money upgrading your personal abilities and skills first. And after all that you'll at least have a more solid foundation on choosing what direction to go.

Keith Stone

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I hate to sound like a codger here, but put me in the "keep it as a commuter vehicle" camp.

If someone is truly interested in getting a "performance" vehicle, the first $3,000-$4,000 should be invested in driving lessons at a school such as Bob Bondurants or Skip Barbers. There is SO much more to increasing "performance" than just "upping horsepower". Do you want more low end performance or high end performance? Often it is hard to have both. And then, with a more torquey engine will the originally specified brakes and driveline still remain reliable for 100K? With more HP are you going to have to resize the tires? Going with a fatter tire will increase the rolling resistance and probably also increase the frontal area.

And the list goes on and on...

Anyway, rant off but just wanted to try and explain that changing one parameter is darn near always going to affect a whole lot more than that, but if your goal is better performance in all situations and under all conditions spend some serious money upgrading your personal abilities and skills first. And after all that you'll at least have a more solid foundation on choosing what direction to go.
Apparently you never seen the show home improvement?? Some men just gotta have more power!
No thanks on driving school you could pay off a lot of speeding tickets(or extra good driving awards) for 3 or 4k, also brakes rotors and drive lines are relatively inexpensive...not that I am expecting Corvette speed and handling, just a few extra ponies won't hurt!

Top Bottom