• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Shreveport Plant Operations And Personnel Questions

eddie66

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Perhaps they didn't want to be in a Parish where a commissioner actively tries to sabotage done deals.
I don't know. I don't have any reason to defend what they do. But I do understand trying to replace jobs that were lost when the Hummer plant closed. If it were your decision to make wouldn't you opt for 4000 jobs now verses 1500 maybe jobs once a company raises the money for start up? I'm just as bias as you, being all in, but I get it.

3 Card

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't know. I don't have any reason to defend what they do. But I do understand trying to replace jobs that were lost when the Hummer plant closed. If it were your decision to make wouldn't you opt for 4000 jobs now verses 1500 maybe jobs once a company raises the money for start up? I'm just as bias as you, being all in, but I get it.
Not concerned about that..pissed at Elio

JP

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think Elio should go on TV's Shark Tank. He would have his start up money, probably overnight. Even if he didn't get a Shark to invest, the exposure would probably put him over the top overnight.

If you have watched enough Sharktank, you know that the investor always wants a large share of the company and usually a commission. Sure, they might get money but if an investor owns 40% of the company and wanted 20% commission on every vehicle, that would kill Elio's profit margin unless they raise the price significantly. I don't see Elio making a huge profit on each vehicle. Their focus seems to be quantities. And if they were to raise the price, lot of people including myself may reconsider buying one, especially since you need to get a motorcycle license to drive one and it has limited practicality as a main vehicle.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
These kind of things probably happen all the time to car makers. The difference is that we get to watch Elio go through it. It's easy to get pissed about all the "behind the scenes" stuff that we don't normally get to see. I try to keep that in mind. I'm sure there will some other hiccups but I think they'll hit their targets or at least be reasonably close (Yes, that can be interpreted differently). I wonder if the Toyota people were like "Dang, lost the Shreveport plant. Now I'm pissed. I'm never buying a Toyota again."

Though, to be honest, I haven't read that Toyota backed out of a Shreveport deal. I thought that the person who was looking at the GM plant was "definitely not a car company" and that it was just coincidence that Toyota was moving into Texas who offered them $40M in bribes incentives.

eddie66

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If you have watched enough Sharktank, you know that the investor always wants a large share of the company and usually a commission. Sure, they might get money but if an investor owns 40% of the company and wanted 20% commission on every vehicle, that would kill Elio's profit margin unless they raise the price significantly. I don't see Elio making a huge profit on each vehicle. Their focus seems to be quantities. And if they were to raise the price, lot of people including myself may reconsider buying one, especially since you need to get a motorcycle license to drive one and it has limited practicality as a main vehicle.
So he doesn't accept their offer. But, what he does get is national exposure. Many companies that don't get a deal on that show, go on to be successful just from the exposure. Don't forget that for everyone of us that ponied up $1000, he is giving up $1500 when we get our turn. Just a thought

JP

Elio Addict
Reaction score
So he doesn't accept their offer. But, what he does get is national exposure. Many companies that don't get a deal on that show, go on to be successful just from the exposure. Don't forget that for everyone of us that ponied up $1000, he is giving up $1500 when we get our turn. Just a thought
True, true. It's be interesting to see that's for sure

eddie66

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Caddo Parish lost 4,000+ possible jobs, meanwhile Toyota plans a big move to Texas
Posted: Apr 30, 2014 7:18 PM EDTUpdated: Apr 30, 2014 7:18 PM EDT
By Craig Sims - bio | email

3615510_G.jpg
SHREVEPORT, La. -
Just as suburban Dallas got great news that Toyota is moving its North American headquarters there, we got the bad news here that 4,000 jobs will not move to Shreveport. An unknown company was negotiating quietly with the State of Louisiana about incentive deals for months. It promised 4,500 jobs. That's led to speculation about the company, including that it could've been Toyota. Local leaders stress it wasn't a car company.
"It was not Toyota," John Escude, a Caddo Commissioner who heads the economic development committee, said. "It was not an automobile manufacturer period."
Escude heads the economic development committee. He says the Japanese manufacturer that showed interest in Shreveport produces air conditioning units, but he and others refuse to reveal the company's name, which has led to local speculation over whom it could be.
"The last thing that we need is the next company that is interested in maybe locating here to get the impression that the people that are trying to get these projects put together cannot keep their confidentiality agreements," Escude said. ."So, I'm not going there."
Elio Motors still plans to rent manufacturing space at the GM plant. Escude says other tenants will now be allowed to enter discussions on locating there in May. He says the building is one of a kind and will attract more interest.
"You have to realize, there are lots of huge shuttered plans and buildings scattered throughout this country," Escude said. "They're over 100 years old. this is a relatively new, modern facility with lots of real estate."
Escude says the Japanese manufacturer that turned Shreveport down, isn't keeping the great economic opportunity away because of a problem with the city.
"They came to us. They said make an offer," Escude said. "It took our shot. At the end of the day, there was nothing wrong with our offer. They were perfectly happy with it. They just didn't feel as if the business could survive the transition."
Texas worked out a huge incentive deal to get Toyota, which included around $40 million.

creekstone

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This all started when they were trying to get Toyota to move to La. It all backfired last week when Toyota announce that they were moving to Plaino Tex.

Toyota NEVER considered Shreveport. They are moving their USA Headquarters from California to Texas. They were NOT looking for a plant location.

Top Bottom