• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Shreveport Plant Operations And Personnel Questions

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
With all due respect. I am not political by nature. This specific thread relates to the politics of the Shreveport Plant and how it became an available option to Paul Elio. Without it there is no Elio. There also seems to be alot of Caddo Commissioner commentary which in no way relates to Elio Motors.
Rick, that message happened to follow yours but was not aimed at you at all. Instead I wrote it because of another message which I had to remove. I did not have an issue at all with your message as it did directly address issues Elio Motors has had with government.

2.ooohhh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
After EM is up and running I have no doubt she will include EM as an example of job creation under her 'leadership'. :rolleyes:

Somebody like her doesn't deserve the credit. She should be shamed out of office.

according to the press release, she ran unopposed in her last election

Jim

Thankfully, we hopefully won't see much of Mrs. Lynch since this is her last term by my count. She was first elected in 2004. . .

"Commissioner Quick Facts
  • Commissioners serve four-year terms and are limited to three (3) consecutive elected terms."

:)

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Rick, that message happened to follow yours but was not aimed at you at all. Instead I wrote it because of another message which I had to remove. I did not have an issue at all with your message as it did directly address issues Elio Motors has had with government.
Thanks, from a very non-politcal personality.

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
...............not so much about individual politicians but rather Government in general. I've been having email discussion with my local Senator regarding Elio's current MC Licensing and Helmet requirements. He has agreed to get things moving to sponsor a Bill that will exempt 'cabin' vehicles from requiring a MC Endorsement. Politicians can be very helpful and we need them to help us move foward to production...........with convenient and hassle free Elio ownership.

Attaboy Rick, well done!

Charlie G

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Any update on the Department of Energy ATVM loan? How long does this process take?
I've been trying to track down information on this using some other auto companies as a guide.
It looks like Tesla applied for their loan in November 2008 and was awarded in June 2009 - a 7 month wait.
Fisker reportedly also applied "at the end of 2008" and they were awarded in September 2009 - a >10 month wait.
Carbon motors was denied after a 2 year wait
Bright went out of business after a 4 year wait

Charlie G

Elio Addict
Reaction score
More info regarding timeframe:
  • HOW WILL THE EVALUATION PROCESS WORK?
    • The evaluation process will include four steps. In the first step, an application will be reviewed to see if it is substantially complete. If it is not DOE will notify the applicant what additional information it needs to provide DOE. Once an application is substantially complete, in the second step, the applicant and the project will be evaluated to determine if they are eligible for the ATVMIP. If they are not eligible, the application review process will end. If both the applicant and the proposed project are eligible, in the third step, the proposed project will be evaluated, potential terms and conditions of a loan will be developed and a decision will be made whether to make a loan. The fourth and final step is the negotiation and, if the negotiation is successful, the closing of the loan. The entire process will involve dialogue and exchange of information between the applicant and DOE in each step.
  • Are there any items that require a long lead time to prepare?
    • [..]There are several detailed reports that must be submitted with Part II of each application. The applicant should prepare an environmental report for the project’s site and obtain an independent engineering report for the proposed project. These activities may take up to 12 weeks.

Elio Addict
Reaction score
So I can interpret this as meaning the next delay announcement will be equal to the amount of time it takes the DOE to approve the loan (?).

Elio states they hope to go into production in the second half of 2015 but what milestone date(s) is/are involved? Have they factored in a 7-12 month DOE approval process? For that matter, the loan may not be approved until the second half of 2015.

Soooooooooo, second half of 2016 ?????

Charlie G

Elio Addict
Reaction score
So I can interpret this as meaning the next delay announcement will be equal to the amount of time it takes the DOE to approve the loan (?).

Elio states they hope to go into production in the second half of 2015 but what milestone date(s) is/are involved? Have they factored in a 7-12 month DOE approval process? For that matter, the loan may not be approved until the second half of 2015.

Soooooooooo, second half of 2016 ?????
My guess (as I have stated on other threads) is that production is not actually dependent on the ATVM loan.
When reviewing the ATVM loan guidelines, they specifically state that the loan is not for startup capital, but expansion capital. In order to qualify for the loan you need to already have the funds for production committed.

Thus if they even qualify for the loan, they've already got the money to get started.

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My guess (as I have stated on other threads) is that production is not actually dependent on the ATVM loan.
When reviewing the ATVM loan guidelines, they specifically state that the loan is not for startup capital, but expansion capital. In order to qualify for the loan you need to already have the funds for production committed.

Thus if they even qualify for the loan, they've already got the money to get started.

If this were true then Shreveport would be in full swing getting tooled up and not just the contents sold off. I really hope you are right but somehow I see a delay announcement attached to this.

Top Bottom