• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Shrouded

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
Back when the Smart car first came here, the wife wanted one and after ordering and waiting the prescribed period (sounds familiar), we picked it up from the dealership. When we were leaving, the salesman hands me a large handful of little handouts to give out to folks who asked about the car. At first I told him that I was not interested in being an advertising agent for Smart cars. He looked at me and said, these are to give to people who won't let you leave. Funny thing is, I was happy to have them after about a week. Went back for more later on. :)

Very interesting that you were in a similar situation with your Smart car. Tell us more details that you can remember. How long was it between when you learned of it and when you ordered it? Then how long was it to wait the prescribed period, between ordering it and getting the call that it's ready? Did they give you an estimate and were they close on their estimate? After you got it, how long was it that people would stop you and want to talk about your Smart car, before it started to slow down a bit?

DeereMan

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Very interesting that you were in a similar situation with your Smart car. Tell us more details that you can remember. How long was it between when you learned of it and when you ordered it? Then how long was it to wait the prescribed period, between ordering it and getting the call that it's ready? Did they give you an estimate and were they close on their estimate? After you got it, how long was it that people would stop you and want to talk about your Smart car, before it started to slow down a bit?

Jeff, We went to Durham and drove the car when they had a test drive event. My wife just loved the car and she had to have one. I think it was just about exactly a year from the time we ordered the car until they arrived at the dealer. The cost of the Smart car was given up front and they don't negotiate price so the only thing we needed to settle on was options, which she loaded up on. Best appointed vehicle I ever owned. We left the dealership and went to the local Kroger store on the way home to get a few things and it was on from that point on. Took about a year before we stopped having to explain and/or give someone a handout so they would let us leave. Don't know how many people sat in the drivers seat to see what it felt like. We had a blast with that car, but ended up trading it in.

Music Man

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I thought I would finally join the forum since I have been reading it for several months. I am all in for $1000 and have a spot in line (production number as this forum calls it) of #7761

I see the Elio team showing the car all over the country creating reservation holders all over the country. Thus the first Elios (going to the reservation holders) will be on the road all over the country creating their own advertising because everyone will see it and ask the owner about it. It is very distinctive. The media, always needing something to hype about, will give it plenty of air time. This is free advertising during the slower production rate first year. Again, this is free advertising, it will be nation wide, and by the time high production rates kick in, there will be a hysterical demand for the car. The Elio people are very shrouded. Anyone can spend a lot of money to buy advertising, but few people know how to get it free!
Well, pistonboy, it's about time you joined the "Family." :) We're ALL so very pleased to see new faces on here and to get "new & improved" thoughts added to the gene pool. :rolleyes:

Anyway, WELCOME, and CONGRATULATIONS to you, Sir; from the Bayou State, Louisiana!

Top Bottom