• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Silent Majority...

4matic

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm one of the "silent majority"...by that I mean...one of the 60K plus reservation holders that have never been a member of this forum...

FYI...I'm one of the earliest $1,000 non-returnable deposits (#127)...I actually spoke with Paul Elio directly before placing my order...yes...he was actually accessible to the public back in 2013...

My motivation for reserving an Elio is different than most...I own a secondary home located in a tiny beach community...and my Elio was intended for fun transport in & around this beach community...

A little about me...I have an extensive background within the automobile industry...with previous ties to five major vehicle manufacturers...I've attended many high level meetings with major vehicle manufacturers...I also have extensive banking & finance background...

I'm currently retired...and was lucky enough to retire before age 50...

I'm a "car nut"...I've owned everything from Smart Cars to Italian Exotic's...

I've shadowed this forum for years...and thought it was finally time to post a few comments...

The Elio story is fascinating...a great idea that has been plagued with poor execution...

Bluntly stated...Paul has an imaginative vision of low cost transportation...but a decade latter there is still no clear path to production...basically it's been a never ending disappointment to those hopefully to take delivery of a Elio vehicle...

After years of missed & promised deadlines...I would assume the majority of the reservation holder have lost interest...and moved on to purchased other forms of available transportation...

2009 to 2017...almost a lost decade of Elio production timelines...now I read 2019 is the latest estimate...assuming that Elio can secure almost 400 million of total financing...basically the same financing obstacles since 2013...just a larger sum of needed capital...

I've studied their SEC filling's extensively...so much money squandered...with so little to show for 140 million spent on marketing & development...

Thus my comments..."the silent majority" of reservation holders have likely lost total interest in the Elio story...and probably don't even follow the Elio story anymore...

Like I already stated...such a fascinating saga...

Last edited:

Made in USA

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Can't speak for anyone else, but I have not lost interest. However, I did have to make a car purchase decision. I bought a new Chevy Spark that gets around 40mpg. This will replace my old Toyota with 230,000 miles. I gave the Toyota to my wife as her car was in worse shape. (She doesn't work except for at home). I drive 60 miles a day for work and needed reliable transportation. When I get my Elio it will replace the Chevy Spark. She will get the Spark to replace the Toyota. I still have a Mini-van too. While it would be nice to be saving with the Elio now, I will continue to wait patiently.

stts

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I'm one of the "silent majority"...by that I mean...one of the 60K plus reservation holders that have never been a member of this forum...

FYI...I'm one of the earliest $1,000 non-returnable deposits (#127)...I actually spoke with Paul Elio directly before placing my order...yes...he was actually accessible to the public back in 2013...

My motivation for reserving an Elio is different than most...I own a secondary home located in a tiny beach community...and my Elio was intended for fun transport in & around this beach community...

A little about me...I have an extensive background within the automobile industry...with previous ties to five major vehicle manufacturers...I've attended countless high level meetings with major vehicle manufacturers...I also have extensive banking & finance background...

I'm currently retired...and was lucky enough to retire before age 50...

I'm a "car nut"...I've owned everything from Smart Cars to Ferrari's...

I've shadowed this forum for years...and thought it was finally time to post a few comments...

The Elio story is fascinating...a great idea that has been plagued with poor execution...

Bluntly stated...Paul has an imaginative vision of low cost transportation...but a decade latter there is still no clear path to production...basically it's been a never ending disappointment to those hopefully to take delivery of a Elio vehicle...

After years of missed & promised deadlines...I would assume the majority of the reservation holder have lost interest...and moved on to purchased other forms of available transportation...

2009 to 2017...almost a lost decade of Elio production timelines...now I read 2019 is the latest estimate...assuming that Elio can secure almost 400 million of total financing...basically the same financing obstacles since 2013...just a larger sum of needed capital...

I've studied their SEC filling's extensively...so much money squandered...with so little to show for 140 million spent on marketing & development...

Thus my comments..."the silent majority" of reservation holders have likely lost total interest in the Elio story...and probably don't even follow the Elio story anymore...

Like I already stated...such a fascinating saga...

Im in no way this pesemistic. I am guardedly optimistic. And I have great reason for it. I know how to build machinery including cars, I know all about how factories work, and I know all about politics. Unfortunately, this site forbids politics so I am unable to clearly explain the difinitive reason why Elio has had such a hard time without being kicked off the site. Maybe I should change my Avatar to the guru speaking to the head in sand flock. Hah, that more reflects how things are here.

In hindsite, you can say Elio should have been eating Mcdonalds instead of OliveGargen. But certainly he wasnt eating at TavernOnTheGreen. But in any case, there is no way Elio could have gotten this car into production on $140Million, no matter where he ate. Absolutely no way. And if you really are some kind of automotive executive, you should know that. Elio has been begging for in excess of $300Million. So in fact Elio is closer to the ballpark of what it takes to produce this car than YOU are. So your credentials just dont seem to fit with reality. Tesla has just announced that they are seeking another $1.5Billion, on top of the $3Billion they already have, to kick their new model 3 into production. Tesla is alot more complicated than an Elio. But NOT by 90%. Elio trully needs way more than he got. And his $250grand salary is less than 1% in this whole frustrating journey.

In another political time, Elio would have done way better. But I cant explain why. So all I can say is that its not over yet and the single most important thing has changed. So its possible Elio could still pull this off. Thats why in my expert opinion, I am guardedly optimistic. But sadly, we still have a few years waiting to go. Reality is reality.

Oh, and welcome to the posting part of the forum. I know our views are completely opposite, but maybe I gave you a small shot of optimism that you might end up being an Elio owner some day. So dont spend all your money. :)

Last edited:

BaldGuy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think its neat you met Paul Elio in person. And I'm sorry that you gave up hope. But if the majority is silent, how do you know they lost total interest in the Elio? What metrics are you using? There is something called projection. I feel humans use this a lot. I love my pet tiger, so he must love me and he would never hurt me or my family. I gave up hope on the Elio, so everyone else that's not wearing a cheerleader outfit and cheering them on, must too.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome, and very cool car you picked up.
I got a new one myself, but it's a gas only box, 2017 Dodge Journey, seats 7, not that I need that much room, but it was one of the few that is tall enough for us (back problem) and needed something you don't sit down in, you kind of stay on an even keel.

booboo

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Welcome 4matic.
I have a 2012 Focus with 6,000 miles on it, sitting in the garage. As you can see, I do not put do 200,000 mi/yr anymore, like I did with my Class 8.
I want an Elio to have something new to polish.

booboo

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Top Bottom