• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Some Engine Info From The Facebook Page For Elio.

KN16

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I personally think that the 3K oil change interval they are giving right now is just a CYA number because they have not had a chance to complete testing on the engine yet to determine the appropriate interval. I would bet this number changes by the time the Elio makes it into the hands of customers.
That makes sense.
Actually that's just the polite way of saying they pulled that number out of their #@*

Last edited by a moderator:

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There's no special engineering needed to run synthetic oil. At your 1st oil change you can switch to synthetic with no issues. I know i will. (flames no doubt coming because of all the goofy myths surrounding synthetic oil)

The 3K change number is seriously absurd given today's standards. The 3K number as a popular standard for an oil change was born out of Jiffy Lube propaganda and not manufacturer requirements.
Sorry to dispel your rumor but I was changing my oil at 3000 miles long before Jiffy Lube was ever in business so you can't pin that myth on them

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Sorry to dispel your rumor but I was changing my oil at 3000 miles long before Jiffy Lube was ever in business so you can't pin that myth on them
My late father always insisted if you loved your car you should change the oil every 3000 miles. As a result I have tried to stick pretty close to that mark. :-) Z

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
I burn through all of my oil about every 2000 miles or so. I also burn through my coolant :( thanks to a mechanic who put in the wrong type and dissolved the O-rings.

KN16

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What ever you do with your vehicles is your business, however that doesn't make what I said a myth.

KN16

Elio Addict
Reaction score
edmunds.com said:
The 3,000-mile myth is also promoted by the quick-lube industry's "convenient reminder" windshield sticker.

wikipedia said:
The 3,000 mile myth refers to a common belief, particularly in the United States, that all cars should have their motor oil changed at least every 3,000 miles (4,800 km) to maintain their car engine correctly.

I could go on and on and on......

Snick

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Agree very much with the last 3 posts regarding oil change interval. What I'll do is test the oil at 4k, 8k, 12k...etcetera...until the TBN is exhausted. Of course, I'll put in synthetic diesel rated oil (mucho superior).

Top Bottom