• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Some Engine Info From The Facebook Page For Elio.

Keith Stone

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There's no special engineering needed to run synthetic oil. At your 1st oil change you can switch to synthetic with no issues. I know i will. (flames no doubt coming because of all the goofy myths surrounding synthetic oil)

The 3K change number is seriously absurd given today's standards. The 3K number as a popular standard for an oil change was born out of Jiffy Lube propaganda and not manufacturer requirements.
Not true! switching from a normal to synthetic a can of motor flush is needed i have a friend who just switched in his escalade and it coagulated and ruined his motor!
( i have logged 500,000 miles with 2 diesel pickups with no major engine problems at work @ 5000 intervals! One cummins and one Powerstroke! Although my personal duramax only goes 3000 per service all on regular oil)

Last edited:

Keith Stone

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I change oil in my diesel when it appears dirty at apx 3000 miles i am sure this is a good interval i plan on 300000 miles before rebuild in pickup, as with working in a lube shop in my younger days i researched a story of how two taxi cabs got only one oil change the synthetic lasted 100,000 and the traditional lasted 115,000 miles i think the most important aspect is regular service intervals! Synthetic is slicker (yes better mileage) but not Always better!

Keith Stone

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It would be worth your time do do some oil analysis. I would think you should be able to safely run 12K unless there's a warranty issue for changing that often.
Sure you can get away with 12000 but why not change it every 3000 and make your motor last way longer!, i am not a fan of waiting until my oil is black as tar before i change it!, even in a diesel!

KN16

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Not true! switching from a normal to synthetic a can of motor flush is needed i have a friend who just switched in his escalade and it coagulated and ruined his motor!
( i have logged 500,000 miles with 2 diesel pickups with no major engine problems at work @ 5000 intervals! One cummins and one Powerstroke! Although my personal duramax only goes 3000 per service all on regular oil)
1st off motor flush is not considered engineering. 2nd off I don't know what your buddy did but the little amount of oil left after a normal drain will mix with the synthetic just fine. 3rd off you're likely to do more damage with that flush than not.

KN16

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Sure you can get away with 12000 but why not change it every 3000 and make your motor last way longer!, i am not a fan of waiting until my oil is black as tar before i change it!, even in a diesel!
It's your money to throw away but that's all your doing you're not making the engine last longer by throwing away perfectly good oil.

Cali Chris

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I run synthetic in my 2000 Jeep Cherokee. I change my filter at 7,500 and my oil at 15,000. I've done this since I bought it at 89K and it has over 250k now. Runs great, has 165-170psi compression with less than 3% variation between cylinders, last time I checked was around 230k. Damn thing won't die and it's a shame because I have 4.0l stroked out to 4.7l waiting in the garage to go in it.

Top Bottom