• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Some Engine Info From The Facebook Page For Elio.

Keith Stone

Elio Addict
Reaction score
THIS IS MY LAST POST! (until my next post)
Thanks for your strong argument with good info... We can say we agree to disagree.. Lets just compare facts as far as mileage and oil analysis at persay 50,000 or whatever we can also do a compession check to see what oil really is the best for the elio. Sorry if i offended you in any way i just have different opinions.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If gas gets by a piston ring, it does not so good things to the oil... Older engine's had looser tolerances and thus needed the oil changed more softer to get rid of the gas-thinned oil, right? Diesel fuel is basically oil and when it gets past the rings, it basically makes you have more oil. There has to be a reason that my new truck manual says not to change the oil until the message screen says to (which it did at 7,500 miles). On my last truck, I switched back and forth between synthetic and regardless oil... I'd try synthetic... no noticeable difference... go back to regular... synthetic on sale? Back to that... no difference? Back to regular oil. We all have probably heard one of the "I've never changed the oil and it runs great." stories. There must be differences even within the same engine line that allows that kind of stuff.
Many of the 5th wheel set do oil analysis rather than change their oil as $200+ oil changes really suck. They ensure the Ph balance is good and make small adjustments on occasion. I, for one will follow Ford's owners manual and listen to my truck's computer when it comes to changing it. Going to 3,000 would more than double my costs. Wait, if Ford was "in with Big Oil", wouldn't they WANT me to change my oil more often?... Mind. Blown. :rolleyes:

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
If gas gets by a piston ring, it does not so good things to the oil... Older engine's had looser tolerances and thus needed the oil changed more softer to get rid of the gas-thinned oil, right? Diesel fuel is basically oil and when it gets past the rings, it basically makes you have more oil. There has to be a reason that my new truck manual says not to change the oil until the message screen says to (which it did at 7,500 miles). On my last truck, I switched back and forth between synthetic and regardless oil... I'd try synthetic... no noticeable difference... go back to regular... synthetic on sale? Back to that... no difference? Back to regular oil. We all have probably heard one of the "I've never changed the oil and it runs great." stories. There must be differences even within the same engine line that allows that kind of stuff.
Many of the 5th wheel set do oil analysis rather than change their oil as $200+ oil changes really suck. They ensure the Ph balance is good and make small adjustments on occasion. I, for one will follow Ford's owners manual and listen to my truck's computer when it comes to changing it. Going to 3,000 would more than double my costs. Wait, if Ford was "in with Big Oil", wouldn't they WANT me to change my oil more often?... Mind. Blown. :rolleyes:

I use full synthetic but always just follow what the computer or manual says for both my Ford Econoline conversion van and F-350 diesel. I rarely change the oil sooner than 7500 miles and have never seen the need to. My business requires me to tow trailers with these vehicles on a regular basis so I try to make sure they are in good running order, can't be late or we would lose business, however there just has never been a need to change the oil too often.

pj rogers

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As long a we are the subject of making the engine last, what about any of you getting one of those 100,000+ engine transmission warranties. It is a brand new engine, engineered by IAV, but made in the elio facility. The elio comes with a 3year. 36,000 mile warranty right? Would you spend $1000, to $1500 for an extended warranty?

KN16

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As long a we are the subject of making the engine last, what about any of you getting one of those 100,000+ engine transmission warranties. It is a brand new engine, engineered by IAV, but made in the elio facility. The elio comes with a 3year. 36,000 mile warranty right? Would you spend $1000, to $1500 for an extended warranty?
No

Cali Chris

Elio Addict
Reaction score
NEVER!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom