• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Sondors Electric Car

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Seems I'm jumping in the middle of a wheel configuration discussion. Just my two cents; A 3 or 2 wheel configuration is always a compromise on the stability of braking, accelerating and evasive maneuverability. The 2 wheeler is practically guaranteeing an accident. It's just a matter of time. The 3 wheeler on the other hand is well within safety perimeters for a safe ride but only with the 2 up front wheels configuration.
Both the weight of the Elio and the wide stance of the 2 up front outriggers affords both superior braking and evasive maneuvering on a par with any 4 wheeler. Including all the other designed safety features built in, the Elio just makes sense that it hits a true design sweet spot no other vehicle has achieved if it ever gets into production, that is.
I always thought that no matter where the engine was located -up front or at the back (front heavy or rear heavy), or whether it's FWD or RWD, with only one rear wheel gripping the road, it's easy for a 3wheeler to tailspin on sudden turns ending in front of oncoming traffic, but what the heck do I know about momentum physics anyways...and besides I'll be too old to care or go crazy with either my ELIO or SOLO when I finally get one!:D It happened to me on two separate first day of rain where the surface oil just barely being washed away by it....in a 4 wheeler! How much easier it is to happen on a 3wheeler is easier to imagine but hey, I still want one....or two!

Last edited:

Sailor Dog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
let's see your testing results on stability and aerodynamics between Elio and Sondors.
Sondor is seriously twitchy looking with all that unnecessary body aesthetics...form should be lead by function. Happy Thanksgiving... We'll be back to celebrate (in 2018?) when the big Elio news...finally...comes out! And we won't say 'told you so'! GO ELIO!!!

acentre

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I always thought that no matter where the engine was located -up front or at the back (front heavy or rear heavy), or whether it's FWD or RWD, with only one rear wheel gripping the road, it's easy for a 3wheeler to tailspin on sudden turns ending in front of oncoming traffic, but what the heck do I know about momentum physics anyways...and besides I'll be too old to care or go crazy with either my ELIO or SOLO when I finally get one!:D It happened to me on two separate first day of rain where the surface oil just barely being washed away by it....on a 4 wheeler! How much easier it is to happen on a 3wheeler is easier to imagine but hey, I still want one....or two!
The Morgan is a three wheel, rear drive vehicle, as is the slingshot, they seem to preform well in the world.

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The Morgan is a three wheel, rear drive vehicle, as is the slingshot, they seem to preform well in the world.
Very carefully I can only assume!:D But you would be naive enough to think that a single rear wheel will be as stable and nimble than 2 rear wheels gripping the road! I would love to have one of those too...if only I can afford it! :D

wizard of ahs

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Delivered to my door; How? Unassembled? In a crate? Think about it no car carrier was designed to deliver three wheels, and common carriers are not going to show up with a fork lift. Are they? Delivery charge from China for a car? - over the top, buy local (usa)
When I had a vehicle "delivered to my door", it came on a flatbed :D

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A flat bed enables staggering the load to accommodate more cars. Just put the rear tire on a dolly and push it to the side to accommodate the tail of the next car. I thought of this all by myself. It is not field tested.:D
The business model of both SONDORs and Arcimoto is to build and deliver vehicles to the individual customer order. No need to transport trailer loads of three wheelers to dealers. Although, Arcimoto's Fleet Sales deliveries may benefit from creative loading and delivery.

Last edited:

Rob Croson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
How do/will they get around the dealership restrictions that many (most?) states have in place? You can't sell a motor vehicle of almost any kind in Ohio without having a franchised dealership with a physical storefront in the state. This includes all forms of online sales with in-state delivery, as that constitutes selling vehicles in the state. Note that Ohio does not have a "motorcycle exemption" where the franchise laws only apply to four-wheeled vehicles. Other states also have similar restrictions, and documented by the many efforts of Tesla to sell from factory-owned stores.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
How do/will they get around the dealership restrictions that many (most?) states have in place? You can't sell a motor vehicle of almost any kind in Ohio without having a franchised dealership with a physical storefront in the state. This includes all forms of online sales with in-state delivery, as that constitutes selling vehicles in the state. Note that Ohio does not have a "motorcycle exemption" where the franchise laws only apply to four-wheeled vehicles. Other states also have similar restrictions, and documented by the many efforts of Tesla to sell from factory-owned stores.
Only a small handful of States have anti-direct to consumer sales restrictions (Targeted at Tesla) in place that also restrict Arcimoto's and SONDOR's on-line purchases with delivery to your garage door business model. Worst case scenario ship it to a neighboring State location, pick it up, and drive it home. I ass.u.me those States would register and license vehicles driven in from another State?

Last edited:
Top Bottom