• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Standard Equipment And Options

DailyLunatic

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Easy? That's probably one of the hardest areas there is to wrap.
The top of the fender is curved F-R and S-S but the sides of the fender are flat.
Once you get the wrap on the top of the fender, you're going to have a BUNCH of extra material on the sides.
I don't think folds of material would look too good on it.
It's probably one of the items you want to paint.

Heat stretch it before you lay it on the fender. Work from the corners and heat to shrink the sides back and flat.

DailyLunatic

Elio Addict
Reaction score
:becky: Ok, if you say so.
Would you mind doing one and showing the video?
I'd be really interested in seeing it done. :thumb:

Don't have an Elio at the moment (must have left it in my other pants):rolleyes:. However, here are a couple of YouTube vids showing wrapping of a side mirror. Same type of compound curves, but tighter (harder) than the fenders of the Elio will be. Shows the principle anyways...

Wrapping Side Mirror

...and just for fun, wrapping the wheels of the car.
Wrapping Wheels

-sterling

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This is a stupid question from a newbie, but do they make and sell spray cans of automotive paint?
Yes. PPG is one place, for example, that will mix up paint for you and even make some spray cans of any color available. Typically, you need to use the cans within 24 hours if I remember correctly. I used a couple to paint door jambs. Just don't forget that clear coat is a second can that you'll want and need.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Don't have an Elio at the moment (must have left it in my other pants):rolleyes:. However, here are a couple of YouTube vids showing wrapping of a side mirror. Same type of compound curves, but tighter (harder) than the fenders of the Elio will be. Shows the principle anyways...

Wrapping Side Mirror

...and just for fun, wrapping the wheels of the car.
Wrapping Wheels

-sterling
In principle doing the mirror is like doing the top of the fender; now include wrapping it straight down over what, on the mirror, would be the flat side of the fender, but include a flat side on both sides of it; plus proportions; you're going to end up with a lot of extra material for those flat areas.
Can it be done; I'm not saying it can't; but you had better have a lot of years of practice, and some top grade wrap (aka expensive) to use.

I worked in an upholstery shop for 15 years and have a lot of hands on time handling material. Part of handling material is being able to "see" what material will do in certain situations.
One of the drawbacks of all that material handling, is that a lot of people I know what me to wrap their Christmas presents for them. :tsk:

DailyLunatic

Elio Addict
Reaction score
In principle doing the mirror is like doing the top of the fender; now include wrapping it straight down over what, on the mirror, would be the flat side of the fender, but include a flat side on both sides of it; plus proportions; you're going to end up with a lot of extra material for those flat areas.
Can it be done; I'm not saying it can't; but you had better have a lot of years of practice, and some top grade wrap (aka expensive) to use.

I worked in an upholstery shop for 15 years and have a lot of hands on time handling material. Part of handling material is being able to "see" what material will do in certain situations.
One of the drawbacks of all that material handling, is that a lot of people I know what me to wrap their Christmas presents for them. :tsk:

In my opinion, the difference between upholstery fabric, in which you have experience, and vinyl wraps, is the stretch of the material. Heat to stretch, heat to shrink back. Think of it like upholstering with really stretchy spandex.:D

I do, however, agree that quality wraps would be recommended for a beginner. Cheaper wraps do not have the micro channels (or whatever they're called) and will not easily reposition. Stay with something like the 3M 1080, or the Avery 900 Series wraps. They don't stick like glue the instant they brush against the surface, and require a bit of pressure first.

Still... I just tossed it out as an alternative to the permanence of painting in order to decorate for a football game. Makes no nevermind to me

As for wrapping presents, I just buy the reusable felt bags from Hobby Lobby or Michael's and hand them one. :cool:

-sterling

Build it RIGHT!

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Businesses are usually protective of the trade secrets they find by doing their own design and research. You invest in this and don't give it away for free. But the balance between that and sharing progress to stir interest and funding is always in tension.

I've never noticed GM or Ford or any other car manufacturer using live feeds of their developmental or production process. I don't expect it. Why would you expect Elio to do this? They, like others, carefully release what they want, when they want for their own purposes.

I'm not suggesting blueprints be released, just that they have cameras in the shop showing them working on something..

Since they are at this point they are supposed to be making 23 test vehicles.

Such would do alot to pound those into the ground that are saying ELIO is running a scam.

Last edited:
Top Bottom