• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Stigma About The Back Seat

pohutukawa

Elio Fan
Reaction score
It seems like a serious question, xtspode. Deserves some serious thought. Nice bike pic you have there...

There are a lot of ideas for what an Elio is going to be good for. To me, this is what you need an Elio for: you have another vehicle, and you use it to go to work, with room for 6 inside. You get 25mpg. You carry your wallet, your briefcase, your backpack. You don't go out to eat at lunch and be the driver. You aren't stopping by Wally World on the way home to get the 50 inch tv. You commute at least 15 miles a day.

You've got a bike, just like me. I put 15K miles a year on my bike, and about 200 per year is with a passenger. If I'm going with a passenger, I use the 4 wheel option. I'm getting an Elio because it appeals to me. It's American made. It has a heater, and A/C and creature comforts for those days when I just don't want to ride the bike, and it CAN carry a lot more groceries than the bike. I can put a bicycle rack on it and take it to the woods for a trail ride.

Every now and then, I can carry a passenger in the back seat. But, I accept: it's not an optimum vehicle for two people. I would NOT want to take my wife from Dallas to Houston in it. That's what the 'other' car is for.

I just don't see the Elio as the only vehicle in the family. There may be some that have that in mind, but it won't be a large percentage of buyers. I don't think that Paul E. is going to market it that way.

As your sis-in-law says, this isn't going to be a great date car. But it's going to be a great vehicle...for what it is designed for.

XanWolf

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I kind of see it as a pretty decent first (and only) vehicle for "kids" just getting started in their lives..... The more utilitarian would be a light pickup; but those are freaking expensive these days. For a balance of economy, skill/license requirements, safety, and comfort I see it as a pretty excellent first vehicle.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Some good posts, thank you. I think playing rock, paper, sisors to see who drives would be fun. The Elio doesn't need to be a date car. It isn't one of the Four must haves. I just hope it is as fun as I think it will be. If someone doesn't want to ride in the back, no problem. If she will ride in my rusty truck, or my station wagon, even better.
You've got a station wagon and you were worried about a date car? :faint2: :doh:

xtspode

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You've got a station wagon and you were worried about a date car? :faint2: :doh:
Well yes, now that you mention it. It is not really my date care either. It has an lt1 Corvette based engine and my brother and I have raced it on the salt flats here in Utah. Working on a new engine which should have about 450 HP for another run. Pretty fun car, but not a great daily driver. One of the faster station wagons around though.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Well yes, now that you mention it. It is not really my date care either. It has an lt1 Corvette based engine and my brother and I have raced it on the salt flats here in Utah. Working on a new engine which should have about 450 HP for another run. Pretty fun car, but not a great daily driver. One of the faster station wagons around though.
And roomy enough to stretch out in back ;)

Eliosio

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have got a lot of comments from friends about the fact that unless you are driving, you have to ride in the back seat. That has not been much of a problem for the motorcycle, but it seems to be for the Elio.

I know that the Elio needs the tandem seating for the aerodynamics, and I like it a lot. I think the Elio is a really good looking machine. It is not dumpy looking at all, but I still get complaints about riding in the back.

I am also OK with not having anyone back there because I travel alone most of the time anyway. My Sister in Law though thinks that this will not be a great Date car. Is this a real deal or is the Elio just for committed spouses? Would your significant other ride in the back behind you, for more than just one test ride?

What Say Ye?
Throw a luxuriously thick sheepskin rug over the back seat and your dates will love to ride back there. There is something about lying/sitting on fur that stirs a woman's emotions.

Eliosio

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Throw a luxuriously thick sheepskin rug over the back seat and your dates will love to ride back there. There is something about lying/sitting on fur that stirs a woman's emotions.
I have ordered 2 black onyx large sheepskins to go into my Elio. On sale now at sheepskintown.com with free shipping. I use one on my motorcycle and the looks from guys are quizzical but, the ladies have "I really want to try it" look.

Doug McDow

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have ordered 2 black onyx large sheepskins to go into my Elio. On sale now at sheepskintown.com with free shipping. I use one on my motorcycle and the looks from guys are quizzical but, the ladies have "I really want to try it" look.
If I would buy those for my elio, may be I my wife would get excited about the elio too. Good price $200.00 for a 4x6 sheepskin. The elio value just went up!

Top Bottom