• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Stigma About The Back Seat

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My car when I got married was a 1966 Volvo 122S. I loved it, my wife hated the clutch. I bought the old Volvo'c because they were reliable and pretty good on gas and they worked well in the snow. I had a 1957 445, 1961 544, 3 1966 122S's, 1971 264, and a 1999 S70. The new Volvo's are not quite as reliable and inexpensive, and my 1999 just died on me 4 months ago, so I do not have a Volvo anymore, and not likely to get another. Getting by with my Truck, and need to get my Geo Metro fixed I guess.

I am looking forward to the Elio as my next purchase.
The old Volvos are really reliable and rock solid. My brother had one and you can tell by how the door closes...they're heavy like the old Mercedes Benzes.

Muzhik

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Anyone ever wonder why we've never seen Paul driving an Elio?
Well, I've got two smarta$$ answers:
  1. Because they are, in fact, one and the same! (I'll leave the details up to you.)
  2. Because if we see PAUL driving it, then there will be a lot of fans sulking because HE gets to drive it and *I* want to drive it and IT'S NOT FAIR!

Eliosio

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just waded through this thread, and I have to say that, outside of the fur seat cover, you're all missing a great product idea. Someone should make a fashionable headset/mic combo so you can be talking to each other without the one in the back raising his/her voice while you have to crane your head to put your ear over the seatback and hear what they're saying.

And while it's not so much an issue now, I would have handled the seating arrangement very well some years ago when my teen-aged daughter could have ridden in the back seat and played her Nintendo 3DS without me interrupting her with attempts at conversation.
Good point. I think a smart phone app with people using their bluetooth to communicate with each other is the way to go. No extra gear to buy and they are already comfortable with what they have.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Good point. I think a smart phone app with people using their bluetooth to communicate with each other is the way to go. No extra gear to buy and they are already comfortable with what they have.
Just use the same intercom system they use on motorcycles; they have been around for a long time and they have different quality sets.
Also for the back seat, put a monitor on the back of the drivers headrest, and hook it to a forward looking camera, or a periscope.
The price of these 2 items are all over the places from under $50 to well over $1,500 depending on the quality and size.

raptor213

Elio Addict
Reaction score
On the topic of holding a casual conversation between a front seat driver and rear seat occupant, a feature that could be pursued is active noise cancellation. Is that amenity a function of a set of speakers, of an amplifier, of the in-dash stereo head unit, or some combination of above?

BilgeRat

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As far as the back seat goes, the only problem that I saw with it when I sat in P5 was that it was really uncomfortable! I wouldn't have lasted fifty miles in it the way it was. Jerome assured me that the production seat would not be like that, however. If I were to spend any time back there, I would like the rear windows to be pop outs (hinged at the front edge and an over center latch at the back end) for a bit of ventilation.

Last edited:

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As far as the back seat goes, the only problem that I saw with it when I sat in P5 was that it was really uncomfortable! I wouldn't have lasted fifty miles in it the way it was. Jerome assured me that the production seat would not be like that, however. If I were to spend any time back there, I would like the rear windows to be pop outs (hinged at the front edge and an over center latch at the back end) for a bit of ventilation.
If the pop outs don't happen, and you're the passenger, make sure that you bring some Bean-O just in case. :painkiller:

Top Bottom