• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Technosports, Elio Prototypes

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The last solid information I heard was that IAV still had the first prototype motor(s) undergoing static testing in their test facility. As far as I know the first prototype engines were fully assembled sometime in March and begun testing at IAV's test facility which is able to thoroughly test new engines. I expect them to do the static testing for 2-3 months before they start putting these motors in cars which brings us to the June/July timeframe before they would be ready in Elio's hands ready for field testing. Of course I am not involved in this first hand and while I trust this source everything is subject to change.

i really don't want them to cut any corners at all when developing this motor so if they need a few extra months to get it right so be it.
I am with you there. Even though the process of developing a simple motor based on another motor's design should be fairly straightforward (More complicated than anything I've built but computer modeling has become much better and cheaper to utilize), I'd much rather them do a thorough testing cycle than rush a motor that will blow head gaskets or chew up exhaust valves like the Geo four cylinder motors did.

elio_curious

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Probably the worst thing Elio could do at this point is to start up production with an undeveloped product.

Nowhere did I say they should just roll Anything they can stuff in between three wheels out to consumers... I said 100% design perfection - aka Paralysis by Analysis

Absolutely they should be testing and running those things in any and all environments they can reasonably (timewise) accomplish.

RogWild

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My 'concern' still remains HOW Technosport Creative, can turn out the "18 to 26 vehicles" that Elio Motors has said they will 'test' PRIOR to final design acceptance..... and ANY work to 're-tool' the Shreveport Plant. Especially since Technosports has only averaged ONE prototype per year for the past two years. They may have the 'space', but not the assembly line or personal (from what they say and have demonstrated) to do mass production.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My 'concern' still remains HOW Technosport Creative, can turn out the "18 to 26 vehicles" that Elio Motors has said they will 'test' PRIOR to final design acceptance..... and ANY work to 're-tool' the Shreveport Plant. Especially since Technosports has only averaged ONE prototype per year for the past two years. They may have the 'space', but not the assembly line or personal (from what they say and have demonstrated) to do mass production.
I am assuming Elio Motors is not their only customer. I'm sure they have other projects going on all the time as they do similar work for other vehicle manufacturers. :-) Z

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Snipped: I'd much rather them do a thorough testing cycle than rush a motor that will blow head gaskets or chew up exhaust valves like the Geo four cylinder motors did.

I should have guessed when Jerome told me a couple of weeks ago (in Chandler) that testing
was scheduled for 4th qtr this yr, that the entire time table had shifted as well. This is born out
by Paul's recent memo re., 3rd qtr 2015 production. Again all this is financing related. Someone
has to pay for the testing & the units to be tested, etc. not cheap by any-means................
_21477BPLooney-Tunes-Wile-E-Coyote-.jpg

Last edited:

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
They have the capacity to do more as they do many cars a year for many companies. Also, before things get kicked into high gear it is better to go slow to evaluate a design and put as many changes as possible into the next one at one time due to the expense of one offs.

Dustoff

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I should have guessed when Jerome told me a couple of weeks ago (in Chandler) that testing
was scheduled for 4th qtr this yr, that the entire time table had shifted as well. This is born out
by Paul's recent memo re., 3rd qtr 2015 production. Again all this is financing related. Someone
has to pay for the testing & the units to be tested, etc. not cheap by any-means................
_21477BPLooney-Tunes-Wile-E-Coyote-.jpg
godzilla.jpg

pj rogers

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Will any of you buy the extended engine and tranny warranties? With only 3/36, the commuters will eat that up in a year and a half. A Brand new engine means I am hoping that EM joins the rest of the automotive world and give us at least 60k and hopefully 100k.

RogWild

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I just don't buy the REASON for the 'delay', (ie. lease for the PLANT and 'evaluating' the contents).... when they don't even have a "Production Ready Product" to build in it. And they won't (according to them) until they BUILD and TEST the "18 to 26 vehicles" ("E" series) needed to finalize their production design! They need the FUNDING and CAPABILITY (which they have not shown, or told HOW) to make and 'test' that many in such a short time. In fact, they have stated;
"Elio Motors:-- Ray. We will have 18 Prototypes in 3 -4 months.
Like · 2 ·
August 10, 2013 at 1:11pm"...... FIVE months later...... ONE P4 #1.--- and still NO P5 with the IAV engine/drivetrain!
and FAILED to deliver on that 'Prototype Production' PROMISE.

Top Bottom