• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Comments I Got From A Good Friend "non-believer"

saint451

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Almost everyday, I talk with this friend of mine in California.

I give her the newest updates on Elio or bring into the conversation at some point something about the Elio.
For instance, she would bring up that she has to drive a long way to somewhere and with gas prices, not a cheap trip!!!
I say, with My Elio, that would only cost "no-dollars" in fuel, even at Cali. prices.

So the other day I mentioned that my weedeater was broken again.

So Miss smartie-pants stated, use your Elio. She said it could replace the lawnmower and edger too!
Okay, she is not paying attention to the size and weight, but she is a non-believer!
It did make me think about a power take off to run a small generator at tailgates or emergencies!

Anyway, does anyone else get jabbed at!!!!

eddie66

Elio Addict
Reaction score

I give her the newest updates on Elio or bring into the conversation at some point something about the Elio.
For instance, she would bring up that she has to drive a long way to somewhere and with gas prices, not a cheap trip!!!
I say, with My Elio, that would only cost "no-dollars" in fuel, even at Cali. prices.

So Miss smartie-pants stated, use your Elio. She said it could replace the lawnmower and edger too!
Okay, she is not paying attention to the size and weight, but she is a non-believer!
It did make me think about a power take off to run a small generator at tailgates or emergencies!

Or you could enclose the body put on some paddlewheel hubcaps, and make it an anphibious car
manta-concept-electric-amphibious-vehicle_1_jjbat_69.jpg

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score

LOL, No. I just watch as all expression leave their faces & the eyes glaze over. Those are the ones that will just have to see it to believe it.

Last edited:

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver

I don't get jabbed at yet, but I also haven't talked with many of my friends/family. I'm sure I'd get the jabbing just like Saint does if I did.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score

The looks I get are more like a roll of the eyes and OMG is she gullible or what. LOL That is the men. The women were sort of ho hum until I showed them the promo material I picked up in Portland. Now they all want more information. They can't wait to see my Elio. :-) Z

eddie66

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The looks I get are more like a roll of the eyes and OMG is she gullible or what. LOL That is the men. The women were sort of ho hum until I showed them the promo material I picked up in Portland. Now they all want more information. They can't wait to see my Elio. :) Z
I believe most will change their tune when they see a few Elios going down the road in a year or so, and find out there will be an additional year wait if they want one.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I believe most will change their tune when they see a few Elios going down the road in a year or so, and find out there will be an additional year wait if they one.

That's weird Z, because I get the opposite. I love to introduce the elio to people at the gas station. Lots and lots of times I start out with a remark about the price of gas and head right in about the elio. I got cards from elio when we were there in Columbus, so lately I've have those to pass off. Old men respond enthusiastically (Maybe because their looking at my legs, lol) and the women just smile as if I'm nuts. I'm thinking about running for office.
Friends are different. Egg customers think my big billy goat hit me too many times. Young people think I am a trend setter. But, thinking about getting an Elio themselves is financially impossible. They're mostly in college and haven't been taught how to budget yet. >roll eyes<
But, it is cool looking.
My peer group is all for it and say they are 'going to look it up'. Men more than women. Most of my men friends hold jobs and my women friends are like me SUPER GRANDMAS. The men are going though their second childhood and the women are comfortable being Super grandma with never less than two kids in the back seat on the weekends. But, Monday through Friday we are busy running here and there, free and unencumbered. (After the chores are done of course). My friends are much like our friends here on this forum, late 50's - mid 70's, who've been taught by the age of 9 how to budget.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That's weird Z, because I get the opposite. I love to introduce the elio to people at the gas station. Lots and lots of times I start out with a remark about the price of gas and head right in about the elio. I got cards from elio when we were there in Columbus, so lately I've have those to pass off. Old men respond enthusiastically (Maybe because their looking at my legs, lol) and the women just smile as if I'm nuts. I'm thinking about running for office.
Friends are different. Egg customers think my big billy goat hit me too many times. Young people think I am a trend setter. But, thinking about getting an Elio themselves is financially impossible. They're mostly in college and haven't been taught how to budget yet. >roll eyes<
But, it is cool looking.
My peer group is all for it and say they are 'going to look it up'. Men more than women. Most of my men friends hold jobs and my women friends are like me SUPER GRANDMAS. The men are going though their second childhood and the women are comfortable being Super grandma with never less than two kids in the back seat on the weekends. But, Monday through Friday we are busy running here and there, free and unencumbered. (After the chores are done of course). My friends are much like our friends here on this forum, late 50's - mid 70's, who've been taught by the age of 9 how to budget.
Many of my friends grandchildren are adults so there is not a lot of hauling of grandkids around. :-) Z

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Some of my network of friends are very interested in the Elio and others not so much however most people who know me are not surprised at all that I would be interested in this vehicle as it fits my pattern of owning something different. The Elio also fits me as it manages to be frugal. My current daily driver is 1993 Honda Civic not because I have not been able to replace it with something newer and nicer but because it is reliable, does not cost much to own, and averages about 40 MPG.

My home is actually above my workshop where my business parter and I always have a variety of cars and motorcycles along with our business projects all being worked on at once. By the way my business partner is my father and he is a mechanical engineer which is a good complement to my electrical engineering skill set. Eventually I hope to have one or two extra Elios in my shop undergoing various engine swaps and/or even making my own electric Elio just for fun.

Last edited:

Dustman

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I hate to admit it, but I have told very few so far about the Elio. The first reason for this is selfish - I want to be one of the few on the road driving one in the early days. But secondly, I know that many of the people I know will not be very accepting of it. Many in my industry feel the need to express their "status" by the vehicle they drive.

So today I have showed the flier I picked up to a couple of my coworkers. The first (who just got a new Lexus) told me that I would be laughed at. The second wanted more info and saw the value in it.

Each to their own, I guess. They can laugh at me all they want. I'll be laughing my way to the bank with all the money I'll be saving.

Top Bottom