• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio Automatic Transmission

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
Isn't IAV designing and testing the entire powertrain? And didn't they say it would be ready "2nd quarter 2014"?
Elio actually received the product from IAV in February, my understanding is that it is undergoing testing and fine tuning for 84mph, and with the P5 launch expected for June/July that definitely meets the "ready for 2nd quarter 2014" statement - which I haven't seen for myself.

Edward

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'd prefer an automatic because my commute has 20 minutes of stop & go traffic in it. I've done that commute in a manual and an automatic, and it's definitely easier to deal with in an automatic. That said, if the auto is going to be an option and additional cost, I'm sticking with the manual.
Frankly, the only option I could see myself springing for is cruise control. That same commute also has 50 miles of open highway and the cruise control on my Cirrus stopped working. It's getting kind of old...

raybonz

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'd prefer an automatic because my commute has 20 minutes of stop & go traffic in it. I've done that commute in a manual and an automatic, and it's definitely easier to deal with in an automatic. That said, if the auto is going to be an option and additional cost, I'm sticking with the manual.
Frankly, the only option I could see myself springing for is cruise control. That same commute also has 50 miles of open highway and the cruise control on my Cirrus stopped working. It's getting kind of old...
I will pay the extra for auto IF it is a reliable tranny.. My commute deals with daily traffic jams on the so called Boston expressway primarily on the ride southbound when I go home at 2:30PM..

Edward

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I will pay the extra for auto IF it is a reliable tranny.. My commute deals with daily traffic jams on the so called Boston expressway primarily on the ride southbound when I go home at 2:30PM..
Yeah, Denver fares pretty well on the list of urban traffic. Nothing like Boston or NYC. Don't usually see rush hour starting by 2:30 except for Fridays.

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
. . . That same commute also has 50 miles of open highway and the cruise control on my Cirrus stopped working. It's getting kind of old...
Had a similar problem on a MoPar minivan. Changed the "body computer" with one from a junkyard and voila! it fixed both the cruise, some intermittent turn signals, and the gas gauge that was never right. Who knew? :p

Cali Chris

Elio Addict
Reaction score
50 miles of open highway and the cruise control on my Cirrus stopped working. It's getting kind of old...
Had a similar problem on a MoPar minivan. Changed the "body computer" with one from a junkyard and voila! it fixed both the cruise, some intermittent turn signals, and the gas gauge that was never right. Who knew? :p
I drive a 2001 Mazda Miata and my cruise control stopped working a few months back. After some inspection it was simply a cracked rubber vacuum line on the intake manifold. There was enough slack in the line so I cut about an inch of the line off and reconnected it. It cost me about $free.99

Top Bottom