• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio Automatic Transmission

DBN477

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I was there also, Mr. Vassilo did say it would be a 5 speed AMT made by the aisin?
Aisin makes a lot of transmissions for a lot of manufactures. They are crap, longevity terrible. Sister-in-laws 98 Accord Aisin equipped, tranny slipping, got rid of it(her sisters Accord trans failed had to be replaced). Same sister-in-law got an Escape, that trans failed @ 96k miles, Aisin was the manufacture. Replaced trans $$ bought VW Passat, that brand new Passat trans failed at 8k miles, replacement trans failed, only good thing, under warranty. Aisin in a lot of cars. I'll take my chances with manual(kind of forced to), but no way, no how would I pay extra to get an Aisin trans in an Elio.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Aisin makes a lot of transmissions for a lot of manufactures. They are crap, longevity terrible. Sister-in-laws 98 Accord Aisin equipped, tranny slipping, got rid of it(her sisters Accord trans failed had to be replaced). Same sister-in-law got an Escape, that trans failed @ 96k miles, Aisin was the manufacture. Replaced trans $$ bought VW Passat, that brand new Passat trans failed at 8k miles, replacement trans failed, only good thing, under warranty. Aisin in a lot of cars. I'll take my chances with manual(kind of forced to), but no way, no how would I pay extra to get an Aisin trans in an Elio.
Thanks for the warning. I know Elio decided against one transmission already because it happened shortly after I got involved in Elio interests. At that time they said they had 3 more they were investigating and because of the canceled plans, automatic trans would likely cost more than standard. Maybe the Aisin was the one they canceled. :-) Z

raybonz

Elio Addict
Reaction score
From Elio's site under IAV supplier:

"What does IAV supply to Elio Motors?

IAV is the engine designer for Elio Motors. They will design and develop the entire powertrain for the vehicle (engine, transmission, powertrain control system? Including performance, emissions, validation and endurance testing."

Ray

Cali Chris

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My 2000 Jeep Cherokee has a Warner-Aisin auto trans. Joint venture between Borg-Warner and Aisin. Don't know which half Aisin designed, but I only have 250,000 miles on it and it still works. DBN477 maybe your family is just rough on automatic transmissions. I don't think I've had that many transmissions fail over the course of my life; Aisin or not. Only failed transmission I have ever had was a Ford C-4 and we'll say I aggressively persuaded it to fail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lafrisbee

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well back when I plunked my money down in Daytona they told me the auto magic tranny was gonna be a 300-500 dollar option..so a $1000 sounds about right.

DBN477

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My 2000 Jeep Cherokee has a Warner-Aisin auto trans. Joint venture between Borg-Warner and Aisin. Don't know which half Aisin designed, but I only have 250,000 miles on it and it still works. DBN477 maybe your family is just rough on automatic transmissions. I don't think I've had that many transmissions fail over the course of my life; Aisin or not. Only failed transmission I have ever had was a Ford C-4 and we'll say I aggressively persuaded it to fail.

Well as I said the replacement transmission was replaced, what I left out is, it was replaced before it ever left the dealer and anyone drove. Trans problem was a known issue in the Accords. Mercury Montego/Ford 500 trans problems. Manufacture? Aisin. Do a search, you will find a lot of unhappy Aisin equipped cars with transmssion problems.

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I realize we're a long way from production, but this is getting a little scary. Some basic systems like the engine and transmission should be in the final stages of development at this point in order to collect some long-term data on them. If this is true, I may want to re-think that automatic transmission selection again. A manual is not really my choice for a commuter in traffic, but a little left leg exercise is better than a breakdown at regular intervals. Hope they can fix the problem (if there is one) or find an alternate vendor shortly.

raybonz

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I realize we're a long way from production, but this is getting a little scary. Some basic systems like the engine and transmission should be in the final stages of development at this point in order to collect some long-term data on them. If this is true, I may want to re-think that automatic transmission selection again. A manual is not really my choice for a commuter in traffic, but a little left leg exercise is better than a breakdown at regular intervals. Hope they can fix the problem (if there is one) or find an alternate vendor shortly.
Yup were gonna need more than Pepboys for tranny problems!!

Ray

Top Bottom