• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio Automatic Transmission

slinches

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm not worried about it either way. If Smart Car drivers can deal with it without too much trouble, then we should be fine.

Although, I'm going for the manual anyway. I don't need a computer to shift for me and those actuators are just another set of expensive electromechanical devices to replace when they break. I'd even prefer hand crank windows and standard key lock if I could get them. I think that stuff is an unreliable waste of money on normal size vehicles, so I really don't see the point on an Elio with only a single door and both windows within arm's reach.

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm planning on the manual myself. From what I've read about the MMT in the Yaris (also MC5) they started giving problems when the grease in the clutch and shift actuators dried up in a few years. Hopefully they have that fixed by now. Hard to beat a manual for years of trouble free service.
I completely agree, and I may still get a manual. My concern is for the times my wife would need to use the car, that she can drive it too. She says she'd like to learn to drive a stick, but we still haven't gotten around to actually teaching her.

Richad

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
A double clutch transmission is probably cheaper to produce and is more efficient in economy.. I just got rid of my 2014 Ford Focus because there is an annoying lurch when starting out after a stop. This has plagued Ford Focus and Ford Fiesta owners for a number of years now and it is part of the design and is normal as per Ford. I test drove the Fiat 600L and that also has that double clutch and that lurches too. The lurching feels like your learning to drive a stick. I will be buying the 5 speed version as I drive a stick with my MGA. I just purchased a 2016 Mazda CX-3 and the auto transmission and acceleration are way better than what I'm used too.

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The AMT in the Elio isn't a double clutch it's a single clutch transmission that is internally identical to the 5 speed manual. Simplicity is the big advantage, smoothness is not. I'm afraid the Elio AMT will make the Focus dual clutch seem silky smooth by comparison.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm with you on that. If induction delivery of power is efficient enough, and able to be metered accurately (or provided free), that would make electric cars much more viable to those of us that are outside the current range. Also, reduce the expense and reliance on batteries. (So long as the induction grid doesn't go down....)

Time for some new minds to contemplate Tesla's experiment!

Tesla's.jpg

...And so I don't get called out by the "Off-Topic" Police, as much as I enjoy grinding my own, I'll absolutely have to have the automatic/manual. If the knees start feeling better in the future, and I'm not required to pump a clutch pedal 300 times just to get home from work, I'll trade mine in for a manual.

floydv

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If the MMT is anything like my smart's AMT, it should be fine. It takes just a little driving to get used to the car shifting the manual transmission for you, and it gets smoother once you understand to let off the gas just a bit just before the gear change (like you would naturally when changing gears with a stick shifter).

Top Bottom