• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio Automatic Transmission

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Poor people...

But that's the thing. I AM poor people, and I've never once owed a vehicle that was still covered by a warranty. (Well, technically our used 2012 Leaf was still covered by the factory warranty for all of 3 weeks after we bought it). The Elio will be my first true factory-warranty experience. And because it's so new, and from a new company, I'll probably wait a year or so before I void the warranty on it...just until all the kinks have been worked out.

Warranties have never touched my life before, so I don't see that changing much with the Elio.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The newest vehicle in my stable is an '07 Jeep Grand Cherokee [wife's]. My daily drivers [which are both ironically 'down' right now] are early and mid '90's. The other three 'toys' are maybe 15 years older that you. Never owned a 'new' vehicle. Elio will be my first.

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The newest vehicle in my stable is an '07 Jeep Grand Cherokee [wife's]. My daily drivers [which are both ironically 'down' right now] are early and mid '90's. The other three 'toys' are maybe 15 years older that you. Never owned a 'new' vehicle. Elio will be my first.

Yeah, the leaf is the newest car I've ever owned. My daily driver is a '96, the only reason we sprung for the new(er) car for my wife was because she was getting really stressed out over cars breaking down all the time. So far, the electric car has been the best investment I've ever made, but we'll see if I still have that opinion 5 years from now :p

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, the leaf is the newest car I've ever owned. My daily driver is a '96, the only reason we sprung for the new(er) car for my wife was because she was getting really stressed out over cars breaking down all the time. So far, the electric car has been the best investment I've ever made, but we'll see if I still have that opinion 5 years from now :p
Sethodine, "the electric car best investment ever" says alot. Your positive experience with the Leaf EV is helping with my decision to go all in on the SRK everyday electric. No gas ever and little if any routine vehicle maintenance except for normal wear brakes, tires, and battery replacement. I like the idea of an around town 'most' everyday electric commuter. Thanks.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh, like when you have to buy a new battery for it? Plus pay someone to put it in?

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Oh, like when you have to buy a new battery for it? Plus pay someone to put it in?

I won't pick on BPVs (Battery Powered Vehicles).
They do have their place in the greater scheme of things.
My concern is this:
..."Three and a half years after the first Nissan Leaf went on sale, Nissan has announced the cost of a replacement lithium-ion battery pack for its electric car. It's a surprisingly low $5,499 (after a $1,000 credit for turning in the old pack, which is required), plus installation fees and tax.Jun 28, 2014."...
(Source: Google "cost to replace battery in a Leaf")
It appears you will pay on one end or the other.
My choice is pay as you go (gas).

CrimsonEclipse

Elio Addict
Reaction score
But that's the thing. I AM poor people, and I've never once owed a vehicle that was still covered by a warranty. (Well, technically our used 2012 Leaf was still covered by the factory warranty for all of 3 weeks after we bought it). The Elio will be my first true factory-warranty experience. And because it's so new, and from a new company, I'll probably wait a year or so before I void the warranty on it...just until all the kinks have been worked out.

Warranties have never touched my life before, so I don't see that changing much with the Elio.

You have the ability to buy a 2012 Leaf? That's not poor.
Not even close.

A poor person would buy a $500-1000 clunker or even worse, suffer public transportation.

A poor person would find out that monthly payments of an Elio would cost less than fuel and repairs of their old-assed clunker and enjoy the new found freedom of a reliable vehicle.

The same person using public transportation would learn that he or she had an extra 2-4 hours a day not dominated by commuting which would allow for more time working, or with family and friends for a better quality of life.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I won't pick on BPVs (Battery Powered Vehicles).
They do have their place in the greater scheme of things.
My concern is this:
..."Three and a half years after the first Nissan Leaf went on sale, Nissan has announced the cost of a replacement lithium-ion battery pack for its electric car. It's a surprisingly low $5,499 (after a $1,000 credit for turning in the old pack, which is required), plus installation fees and tax.Jun 28, 2014."...
(Source: Google "cost to replace battery in a Leaf")
It appears you will pay on one end or the other.
My choice is pay as you go (gas).

Unless you have a windmill or array [big] of solar panels, you're not getting that "recharge" for free either.

Rob Croson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
...Nissan has announced the cost of a replacement lithium-ion battery pack for its electric car. It's a surprisingly low $5,499 (after a $1,000 credit for turning in the old pack, which is required), plus installation fees and tax.

So, maybe $8k out the door? Ouch... How often do you have to do this? If it's based on charge cycles (most likely), then those of us who drive more miles would be replacing it a lot more often. An extra $8K bill every three years sure makes an electric car much less attractive.

Hmm... Nissan's warranty for the battery is 100,000 or 8 years. At 33mpg, I would use 3,030 gallons of gas to go 100,000. So, $8,000 spread out over 3,030 gallons of gas is an equivalent of $2.64 per gallon. Plus the cost of all that electricity that I have to spend to charge the batteries. (Not sure how much that would cost.) So to save money driving a Leaf (ignoring the fact that it doesn't have the battery capacity I need to make even a single trip back and forth to work) gas would have to cost more than $2.64.

That's a significant hidden cost to driving an electric car.

Top Bottom