• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio Automatic Transmission

floydv

Elio Addict
Reaction score
From my experience with the smart, I suspect the main issue that might occur with an AMT is with the software in the transmission control unit. These automated manuals are heavily dependent on software. It happened only once, but I got the equivalent of a Windows bluescreen of death with the TCU, resulting in a frozen transmission (while parked). No big deal since there was a procedure in the owners manual to unfreeze it and then have the TCU go through an automatic "reteach" process. Took maybe 30 secs once I found the procedure. I've read other owners had their smart's towed but turned out they didn't read their owners manual.

ElioDigger

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Is there any info on the automatic transmission?

I test drove a Smart Car a few years ago that has a CVT (continuously variable transmission). The Smart CVT is totally unacceptable because it produces a pronounced 'lurch' when it shifts. I actually felt a bit motion sick from just a short test drive.

Pleeeeeease tell me the Elio will avoid that ?!?!
The smart has a AMT ( automatic Manual Transmission) the same as the Elio is going to have. it is said to be a better performer. that is why I plan on getting a manual. That being said, I have learned to drive the smart with out the lurch. Also I have had no issues in 92k miles in my smart except a dislike for the slow shifting( it shifts the same speed no mater the level of acceleration .

karl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My boss was moaning today about his Ford with an automated manual needing to get towed to the dealer for repair. Most of them work great when they do. Gets ugly fast when they don't.

The problem turned out to be a short on the seat switch... Funny how these automated manuals get blamed for everything.

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The smart has a AMT ( automatic Manual Transmission) the same as the Elio is going to have. it is said to be a better performer. that is why I plan on getting a manual. That being said, I have learned to drive the smart with out the lurch. Also I have had no issues in 92k miles in my smart except a dislike for the slow shifting( it shifts the same speed no mater the level of acceleration .

Is this true only in automatic mode, or is the shifting just as slow when you manually gear up/down?

slinches

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've never driven one, so I don't know for sure, but the shift time is likely constant and independent of the method of triggering the shift. It has to execute the same actions either way, so it shouldn't be grossly different. It's also probably faster than most manual gearbox shifts performed by humans, but that may contribute to the perception of "jerky" shifts as quicker changes seem more abrupt and jarring.

Maurtis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Is this true only in automatic mode, or is the shifting just as slow when you manually gear up/down?

It is even when using the paddles (in the Passion) or the stick up/down (in the Pure). The shifts are equally as slow, I would WAG about twice as long as a regular AT shift. It is really disconcerting when you drive them at first. You get used to them, but feels really weird at first.

Last edited:

Johnny Acree

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I sent EM a question about that. I'll post the answer when I receive an answer.
Elio.jpe

Elio Motors Customer Service (Elio Motors)

Feb 16, 15:44

Hey John,
Thanks for reaching out! As of right now we do not offer this as an option for the automatic or manual transmission.

Thanks,
Elio Team

98afaa537f5297373f18f1caf?size=40&default=https%3A%2F%2Fassets.zendesk.com%2Fimages%2Fframe_user.jpg

jwacree

Feb 11, 09:59

Will the automatic transmission have steering wheel mounted shifter
paddles? Standard or optional?

karl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I own a smart car and don't mind the transmission at all. You can get it confused without too much effort, that said 99% of the time it works great. Have also ridden in a Porsche with PDK that can shift faster than any human can. Can also remember the last vehicle I drove that had a lever to adjust the timing on the wheel. The only constant is change.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
QOTD
Should I Learn To Drive With A Manual Or Automatic? Question Of The Day

By Cameron Aubernon
February 16, 2016
a8fb121081488ff67f4e36206cc08927e567f24d.jpg

Drivers learning to driver should avoid distractions and concentrate on the fundamentals before they attempt more advanced.

Photo by State Farm / Flickr

Question: Is it better to learn to drive in a manual-shift car, or an automatic?

Answer: While manual transmissions used to dominate the automotive landscape, today, automatics are the industry standard. Only about 50 vehicles sold out of more than 250 nameplates offer a manual transmission. It’s quite possible that many drivers will never push in clutch and shift a vehicle’s gear during their lifetime. And driving experts say new drivers should learn the driving basics in a car with on an automatic transmission and then move to a manual transmission.

J.C Fawcett of Defensive Driving School, which offers driver training in addition to teen and adult students, said while both are good to know how to use, the student would be better off learning in an automatic.

ece3a9035b8d77495b121502497fc38a73e3d855.jpg

Photo by Robert Couse-Baker / Flickr

“I think it’s great to be exposed to both; I also think it’s good to learn stick early,” Fawcett said. “However, I believe it’s also easier to separate the two learning processes. If you’ve [never driven] before, I think it takes longer to try and learn both the stick and basic car control at the same time. I would recommend you go about learning to drive an automatic. Once you’ve mastered the basic techniques of turning, starting, stopping, lane changes, that type of thing, then go ahead and introduce the stickshift vehicle.”

Fawcett adds that inexperienced drivers should learn the fundamentals of driving a manual transmission vehicle in an empty parking lot or empty street to stay safe. Once the driver becomes confident with the clutch, shifting and braking at low speeds, they can test their abilities in progressively more difficult areas.

As far as the advantages for each type of transmissions, Fawcett said automatics are good for allowing the new driver to focus on becoming comfortable with vehicle operation, while learning how to operate a manual allows them to “understand the gears better” in situations such as driving up and down hills.

“My opinion is you’ll be a much better-rounded driver if you have a substantial amount of experience in a stickshift vehicle.”

1ef3634b08c6b1bd5da79baf7f7960c519cbe826.jpg

Top Bottom