• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio Automatic Transmission

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Back in the 80's IIRC a gang of bad guys spent months planning an armored car robbery. An interbank money transfer involving millions. So the gang hit the armored car, killed the guards and were going to drive away with the loot until they discovered the big heavy armored van had a manual transmission. None of the gang could drive a manual. They're probably all still in prison. Yeah manual is kind of a passive anti-theft.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
#1775--I want a standard transmission. Have you seen in the news that the punks that try to car jack cars are running off without the car because they do not know how to drive a standard transmission?
Hi Malina, long time no see. In fact quite a few of the guys on here say that is why they are getting standard transmission. LOL Either that or because none of their family will want to drive their Elio. :-) Z

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
when it comes to a manual tranny, I can see how one could frustrate some of the younger generation .... I've owned several rigs with manual transmissions but no longer have any desire whatsoever to own another .... in so far as theft protection goes, (thankfully) I've never lived where I had to worry about it .... because of the attention I anticipate folks paying to an Elio (specially in the early days) I'm considering installing a hidden shutoff valve in the gas line

Jim

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Small obscure hidden switch for the ignition or fuel pump or starter relay. Don't need all the horns blowing, lights flashing nonsense. If the perpetrator hot wires it and it still won't start he'll move on to something easier (and more profitable). Besides what idiot would steal a $7000.00 car if there's anything else around. (I know they're out there somewhere).

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Small obscure hidden switch for the ignition or fuel pump or starter relay. Don't need all the horns blowing, lights flashing nonsense. If the perpetrator hot wires it and it still won't start he'll move on to something easier (and more profitable). Besides what idiot would steal a $7000.00 car if there's anything else around. (I know they're out there somewhere).

early on, I suspect that Elios may be targeted for brief joy rides because they are different .... once production is in full swing, they may be targets for chop shops where they will be broken down into parts

Jim

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
#1775--I want a standard transmission. Have you seen in the news that the punks that try to car jack cars are running off without the car because they do not know how to drive a standard transmission?
And it would prevent my wife from driving it as well.....LOL

MajorXx

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score

A friend put in a two pole switch in line with the starter solenoid. In the normal position the starter is activated, in the other position it only blows the horn.

Top Bottom