• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio Engine

tfunster

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Here's my question. I have a vehicle with a 3.8L V6 (4spd automatic), it cruises well and revs about 2,350rpm @ 70mph. Have another vehicle with an inline 2.4L 4cyl (5spd manual) that revs about 3,050 @ that same 70mph. I have seen a video in which one of the IAV engineers stated that the Elio motor (inline .9L 3cyl) would run @ 2,200 rpm "at freeway speeds". How do you get there and (0-107mph) with a 5spd manual unless the gearing is awwwwfully wide? what is the planned final drive ratio, 1st thru 5th?

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Here's my question. I have a vehicle with a 3.8L V6 (4spd automatic), it cruises well and revs about 2,350rpm @ 70mph. Have another vehicle with an inline 2.4L 4cyl (5spd manual) that revs about 3,050 @ that same 70mph. I have seen a video in which one of the IAV engineers stated that the Elio motor (inline .9L 3cyl) would run @ 2,200 rpm "at freeway speeds". How do you get there and (0-107mph) with a 5spd manual unless the gearing is awwwwfully wide? what is the planned final drive ratio, 1st thru 5th?

Good question.
Time will tell.
Incidentally, what are freeway speeds? Could be anywhere between 70 and 80 where I live. Higher on toll roads.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score

Welcome to ElioOwners.com glad you could join us! We have quite a few members from Ohio here.

We do not yet know the gearing. My guess is that EM and IAV have a good idea what it will be however they are likely waiting on pre-production vehicle testing to make a final determination on gearing.

As this vehicle is aimed at fuel efficiency I would not be surprised to see some stretched out gearing especially in 5th in order to maximize highway cruise efficiency. This engine is also of an undersquare design with a long stroke and narrow bore so it will not be a high revving engine and instead is more focused on low end torque.

Last edited:

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hi and welcome from THE Sunshine State- your in the right place to learn much about the E, and our desire to be riding/driving one ASAP!!

John Painter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Welcome to ElioOwners.com glad you could join us! We have quite a few members from Ohio here.

We do not yet know the gearing. My guess is that EM and IAV have a good idea what it will be however they are likely waiting on pre-production vehicle testing to make a final determination on gearing.

As this vehicle is aimed at fuel efficiency I would not be surprised to see some stretched out gearing especially in 5th in order to maximize highway cruise efficiency. This engine is also of an undersquare design with a long stroke and narrow bore so it will not be a high revving engine and instead is more focused on low end torque.
I thought I read somewhere IAV had geared it to both start off quick for city and then to cruise and had a 12:1 :confused: though that's quite likely I've just mixed wishful thinking into my various readings.:eek::D

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I thought I read somewhere IAV had geared it to both start off quick for city and then to cruise and had a 12:1 :confused: though that's quite likely I've just mixed wishful thinking into my various readings.:eek::D

From what we have been told this engine is designed to provide good low end torque which when combined with proper transmission and final drive gearing would allow the Elio to get off the line quickly thus allowing for a zippy around town driving experience.

12:1 is what we have been told is the compression ratio of the engine's combustion chambers.

Top Bottom