• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio Engine

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
From what we have been told this engine is designed to provide good low end torque which when combined with proper transmission and final drive gearing would allow the Elio to get off the line quickly thus allowing for a zippy around town driving experience.

12:1 is what we have been told is the compression ratio of the engine's combustion chambers.

keep in mind, this question is coming from a fellow whose mechanical knowledge is both dated and limited ..
baghead.gif
.. in a rear wheel drive vehicle, I understand the drive train to be a combination of the motor, transmission, and rear differential (final drive gear) .... with an Elio, I know about the motor and transmission, what is the equivalent to differential

Smitty901

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I thought I read somewhere IAV had geared it to both start off quick for city and then to cruise and had a 12:1 :confused: though that's quite likely I've just mixed wishful thinking into my various readings.:eek::D
True. Torque makes you quick off the line... geared right, torque let's the engine push the car at lower rpm levels which should make it more fuel efficient. Diesels are low revising and high torque as well for much if the same reason.

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
In any front wheel drive vehicle the transmission and differential are combined into a unit known as a transaxle. All the component parts are still there except for the U-joints and propeller shaft. The combination assembly bolts directly th the engine and the U-joints are moved to the axles. Simple and efficient configuration.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
keep in mind, this question is coming from a fellow whose mechanical knowledge is both dated and limited ..
baghead.gif
.. in a rear wheel drive vehicle, I understand the drive train to be a combination of the motor, transmission, and rear differential (final drive gear) .... with an Elio, I know about the motor and transmission, what is the equivalent to differential
It'll have a transaxle instead of a transmission and will act as the differential as well as the transmission.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
In any front wheel drive vehicle the transmission and differential are combined into a unit known as a transaxle. All the component parts are still tyhere except for the U-joints and propeller shaft. The combination assembly bolts directly th the engine and the U-joints are moved to the axles. Simple and efficient configuration.
LOL... you beat me to it.

John Painter

Elio Addict
Reaction score

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
12:1 is pretty darn high and then to make it run on 87 octane . This will be interesting to see.

I made that same observation a few months ago .... I well remember when with 87 octane 8:1 ratios were about as good as it got .... back then I was told that these high compression ratings have been in use for a while by several manufactures .... I still don't understand exactly how it works but it apparently does

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
In any front wheel drive vehicle the transmission and differential are combined into a unit known as a transaxle. All the component parts are still there except for the U-joints and propeller shaft. The combination assembly bolts directly th the engine and the U-joints are moved to the axles. Simple and efficient configuration.

thanks for the info, that I can picture

Top Bottom