• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio Engine

slinches

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If you're in a sufficiently noisy environment to require that music have high dynamic range compression to be listenable without clipping, you either need a better amp or hearing protection.

Maybe the better option is to pull your head out of the Elio engine bay to listen. :p

Muzhik

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hang on ... just let me ... get this crowwwbaaaaarrrr ........ (THUNK)
There. I think it's back on the track. Mostly.
Anyone who's seen the P5 in action? I understand that no one has seen the E? in action with the new engine, BUT, ... I"m wondering how much soundproofing there is in the engine compartment, both externally (to bystanders) and internally (to passengers). Will you even be ABLE to hold a conversation with your passenger without yelling?

I've viewed the video that shows the engine running in a lab, and it sounds very smooth, which is essential to reduced noise levels. Still...

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Hang on ... just let me ... get this crowwwbaaaaarrrr ........ (THUNK)
There. I think it's back on the track. Mostly.
Anyone who's seen the P5 in action? I understand that no one has seen the E? in action with the new engine, BUT, ... I"m wondering how much soundproofing there is in the engine compartment, both externally (to bystanders) and internally (to passengers). Will you even be ABLE to hold a conversation with your passenger without yelling?

I've viewed the video that shows the engine running in a lab, and it sounds very smooth, which is essential to reduced noise levels. Still...
Wasn't there a video of the P5 being driven? Not just the one outside that hall, but it was in one of the promotional / commercial video's.
It was be the P5 or the E1D that both have the Elio engine in them. With that in mind, we know Peter Brock drove it around and didn't say anything bad about it.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
How does Elio's rubber-bands and paper clips fit into this system?
This information (
) has been out for a long time.
There used to be a detailed explanation of the cam shaft arrangement but I don't have time to look that up. Just a lot simpler and less moving parts to break than the thing in your video.
Less parts = less things to break.
Less parts = cheaper to build.
Both concepts sound good to me.
I pay less to buy and maintain.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The other system allows a lot more optimization for power and sport, yet features helping to maintain those ecco friendly modes.
Elio only has to provide the ecco and 'normal' power modes, keeping the price low.

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The other system allows a lot more optimization for power and sport, yet features helping to maintain those ecco friendly modes.
Elio only has to provide the ecco and 'normal' power modes, keeping the price low.

Come on Turbo!

IMG_0288.JPG

McBrew

Elio Addict
Reaction score

I think the Elio will be fun enough to drive with the manual transmission and 55 horsepower. I already have a turbo boosted car for really silly fun.

My current job is 2.5 miles from home, but we're building a brewery about 30 miles away, and that'll be my daily commute before the Elio gets here (probably). I look forward to putting those miles on a $7,000 car rather than a $30,000 car. Also, getting 70+ MPG would be much better than 25 MPG in the Abarth.

My wife says I should get rid of the Abarth when the Elio comes. Obviously she's insane. I keep telling her it's the "and" car. Oh, and I'd lose a lot of $$$ on the Abarth, since they hold their value like a snowman in spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom