• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio Engine

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think the Elio will be fun enough to drive with the manual transmission and 55 horsepower. I already have a turbo boosted car for really silly fun.

My current job is 2.5 miles from home, but we're building a brewery about 30 miles away, and that'll be my daily commute before the Elio gets here (probably). I look forward to putting those miles on a $7,000 car rather than a $30,000 car. Also, getting 70+ MPG would be much better than 25 MPG in the Abarth.

My wife says I should get rid of the Abarth when the Elio comes. Obviously she's insane. I keep telling her it's the "and" car. Oh, and I'd lose a lot of $$$ on the Abarth, since they hold their value like a snowman in spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Obviously.

John-b-gone

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Not sure if posted yet. Too lazy to search.

Free Valve camless head. Eliminates cam shaft and timing belt and allows valve optimization for all modes

additional information. I really like this idea!

I wonder if you still need a inter-cooler with this setup? I love this, I hope it makes it's way to the Elio with the turbo option.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Not sure if posted yet. Too lazy to search.

Free Valve camless head. Eliminates cam shaft and timing belt and allows valve optimization for all modes

additional information. I really like this idea!

Wow !
Very impressive.
I only regret that at 72 I probably won't live to see it in anything that I can afford.

Muzhik

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yeah but, Renault....
Yeah, that's a French company, isn't it? I can just see the workers marching in the street with signs saying (in French) something like, "End the Tyranny! Free the Head of the Valve Camless!" (It sounds a lot more impressive in French. Trust me.) Next, the car will stop running on the 20 or so French national holidays, including the entire month of August. Or it will work in August, but at a much slower rate, like nothing above 50 kilometers-per-hour.

Muzhik

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Has Paul said anything about the possibility of the engine being manufactured and made separate from the car? I recall some months back where all sorts of applications were suggested, from mini-delivery vans to boat engines to lightweight aircraft engines.

CrimsonEclipse

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Still it is not a KISS item, for the ELIO.

Well, maybe.
It would eliminate the camshaft and associated parts including the 2 step lifter (which I'm not thrilled about) and decrease the overall size and weight. I would also allow a 4 cyl version to fit relatively easy (for you torque heads out there)

The (truly) variable timing would increase MPG up to 30%. a 90-95 MPG Elio would be an even easier sell.

Granted, this technology should wait until initial production in 201X.

Top Bottom