• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio Engine

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't see any engine today that it non interference. We're running compression ratios too high because we can control pre ignition with a knock sensor.
Right. So where does that leave the cam-free engine? One simple solenoid failure would mean a complete engine rebuild when the piston shells out after beating the valve to death. The only way I see to safely do this is with a non-interference engine. Now that I think about it, it should be possible even at the compression ratios we currently run. Current valves open so far because they have to in order to let in enough air. Think about it. Compared to a digital, full-open to full-closed capability, the analog cam profile requires the valve to spend most of it's time partially closed or open. That won't be the case with the cam-free engine. Since it won't have to overcome the slow opening and closing, the cam-free engine SHOULD be able to have the same airflow with a shorter throw of the valves. Perhaps this will allow the engines to be non-interference... not due to piston/top of chamber clearance change but rather to the shorter distance the valve has to move.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Just have the valve default to close. In manufacturing we always default to safety to keep machines from destroying themselves because most of what we run is with compressed air that is told what to do with electric solenoids. The rate at which we have a catastrophe is really small on machines that run 24/7 at their maximum cycle time. We could eliminate any catastrophe but that leads to a slower machine and more complex systems. There's a point where you have to assume some risk.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Just have the valve default to close. In manufacturing we always default to safety to keep machines from destroying themselves because most of what we run is with compressed air that is told what to do with electric solenoids. The rate at which we have a catastrophe is really small on machines that run 24/7 at their maximum cycle time. We could eliminate any catastrophe but that leads to a slower machine and more complex systems. There's a point where you have to assume some risk.
The solenoid opens to allow air pressure to push the valve open and fails in the open position... That's what I'm talking about. Maybe there's a way to make sure a solenoid can't fail in the open position. Either way, the cam-free engine seems like it'd be a nice fit in the Elio since it's smaller, lighter, and more efficient.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The solenoid opens to allow air pressure to push the valve open and fails in the open position... That's what I'm talking about. Maybe there's a way to make sure a solenoid can't fail in the open position. Either way, the cam-free engine seems like it'd be a nice fit in the Elio since it's smaller, lighter, and more efficient.

I'm sure I'm oversimplifying this, but since a solenoid is just an electromagnet, just make it spring-loaded to the closed position in case of a coil failure or voltage loss. I'm just going by the solenoids I've seen on HVAC stuff like humidifiers.

Top Bottom