• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio Engine

Bikebrains

Elio Addict
Reaction score
See https://www.eliomotors.com/improvements-to-the-elio-engine/ dated February 16, 2017 . Good reading. As of this date and time, 12:41 PM, 2/16/2017, there is a slight issue with the legibility of the text because of a contrast issue with the black background. Elio has been notified and responded with " assigned ticket request number (111452) "
Update: Excellent turnaround time:
The Elio Customer Experience Team (Elio Motors)
Feb 16, 14:32 EST
Thanks! We will fix it.
Make sure to check out our blog at www.eliomotors.com/blog
Thank you,
The Elio Team
Update: Feb 16, 15:32 EST
YAY, problem solved.

Last edited:

Muzhik

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm sure it has a lot to do with using off-the-shelf parts. However, modern cars also have quite a bit of electronics packed into them. One of my previous cars had power windows and rear window defogger, but it only needed a 55 amp alternator. What it didn't have was a bunch of electronics attached to the engine, climate control, safety systems, in car entertainment, etc.
Plus, as is, the engine would make a hella good engine for an emergency portable generator. 120 amps DC can run a LOT of laptops and LED lights, not to mention whatever generator they hook to the drive shaft to produce AC.

McBrew

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Plus, as is, the engine would make a hella good engine for an emergency portable generator. 120 amps DC can run a LOT of laptops and LED lights, not to mention whatever generator they hook to the drive shaft to produce AC.

There's nothing exceptional about a 120 amp alternator in a modern car. My Fiat has a 140 amp alternator and my Kia has a 150 amp alternator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrimsonEclipse

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Converting the 12v 120amp DC to AC 120v would give about 10 amps or slightly more than a standard home power outlet.
(quick calculation, may be + or - 10%)

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Seems like the starter Bendix would need to be a little more robust if it were routinely used to boost the car acceleration.:rolleyes:
Yes, you are probably correct. I wonder how hard it would be to really set up something like I outlined. I know running a wire to make the starter kick on isn't hard. I know making a momentary kill switch to make the plugs stop firing used to be easy but I don't know about now. I was actually thinking about this and thought a momentary-off switch to kill the power as you approached a stop and a momentary-on switch to spin the starter. They could both be driver controlled as a beta test for me. Hmm... Perhaps I will.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Using the starter to make it, essentially, a hybrid? Interesting idea. Would you need more batteries, or do you think a single 12v, 750a battery would suffice?
I don't know, Seth. On my Mustang, I had to do that type of start all day once. My clutch cable broke and I could manually shift through all the gears except 1st. I had to be in neutral before I stopped and then put it in first while the engine was off. Then, I'd shift into first and when the light turned green, I would go to start and it'd pull forward quite abruptly while starting the car. I don't know how long that would work but I suspect it wouldn't last too long. The real way to do it would be to have a belt starter that was on the front of the motor like an alternator/starter combo. But, doing it the way I'm talking is more of a proof of concept thing. Eventually, I'd pull the starter completely as well as the stock alternator. In fact, using an alternator/starter unit in place of two separate units might be less expensive. I wonder if the engine would be easy enough to spin that it could be spun by the stock accessory belt. If so, why not?

While not necessary, I wonder how hard it would be for Elio to offer a mild hybrid version? If it were as simple as replacing the alternator with a unit that could also be used to spin the belt and thus the engine, you could use the savings from the starter to help offset the cost of the alt/starter/electic drive thingy. (that's the technical term for it) Even with a quick little run to get the Elio moving could significantly improve city mileage while not adding much complication.

Top Bottom