• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio Engine

Muzhik

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Converting the 12v 120amp DC to AC 120v would give about 10 amps or slightly more than a standard home power outlet.
(quick calculation, may be + or - 10%)
Thing is, why bother? The engine, running with no external mechanical load, is running an alternator that produces 12 volts (13.6V DC, actually, but who cares) and provides up to 120 Amps of current. You can use the DC to charge batteries to run equipment when you're not burning fuel running the engine. Otherwise, you hook the drive shaft to an AC generator and produce 120V AC at an amperage dependent on the capacity of the AC generator. I gather it would produce enough power to run a refrigerator/freezer. The idea opens some possibilities.

Bikebrains

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I gather it would produce enough power to run a refrigerator/freezer. The idea opens some possibilities.
Back when I was a child, in Days of Olde and shortly after dirt was invented, I saw a picture of a Ford Model T in a farm field, up on blocks and one drive wheel had been replaced with a belt wheel. The belt was connected to and thus powering a movable piece of large farm equipment designed to process a grain crop. This image triggered the thought of how an Elio could be driven to a place where power is needed, put up on blocks, a fender removed, the wheel removed or a belt adapter added to the wheel and the Elio is thus able to find another use for its amazing engine. The following picture shows the concept: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/320592.jpg
The characteristics of modern transmission systems were not been taken into consideration when forming this idea. Neither was the possibility that my idea was 100 years behind the times.

Last edited:

McBrew

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I gather it would produce enough power to run a refrigerator/freezer. The idea opens some possibilities.

Yeah, I think a 55 horsepower gen could run a fridge... especially since my old 2 horsepower gen would run my fridge. That one produced about 800 watts of AC power. Given the same horsepower to actual watt output, the 55 horsepower Elio motor should be able to run a 22,000+ watt generator. That's nearly 200 amps, or the same as the amount of amps running to most residential homes -- of course, most homes are consuming much less than that at any given time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hootersnoocher

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Yeah, I think a 55 horsepower gen could run a fridge... especially since my old 2 horsepower gen would run my fridge. That one produced about 800 watts of AC power. Given the same horsepower to actual watt output, the 55 horsepower Elio motor should be able to run a 22,000+ watt generator. That's nearly 200 amps, or the same as the amount of amps running to most residential homes -- of course, most homes are consuming much less than that at any given time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
One horsepower without friction loss and other factors equals 747 watts.

CrimsonEclipse

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A standard home outlet is 15 amps... Some are 20 amps.

Yeahm you're right. 8 amps was the standard for another project and it stuck in my head.

And... 12v x 120A = 1440 watts. 1440 watts / 120v = 12A.

Don't forget the DC to AC conversion.

I like that this place is full of nerds....

DikiJ

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Back when I was a child, in Days of Olde and shortly after dirt was invented, I saw a picture of a Ford Model T in a farm field, up on blocks and one drive wheel had been replaced with a belt wheel. The belt was connected to and thus powering a movable piece of large farm equipment designed to process a grain crop. This image triggered the thought of how an Elio could be driven to a place where power is needed, put up on blocks, a fender removed, the wheel removed or a belt adapter added to the wheel and the Elio is thus able to find another use for its amazing engine. The following picture shows the concept: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/320592.jpg
The characteristics of modern transmission systems were not been taken into consideration when forming this idea. Neither was the possibility that my idea was 100 years behind the times.

In Louisiana where I live, I have seen tractors PTO's hooked up to pumps to flood the fields for rice farming. Most farms have some sort of dedicated pump for the flooding. I guess in the past some farmers used an old T-Model to run the pumps.

Doug McDow

Elio Addict
Reaction score
IMG_1782.JPG
In Louisiana where I live, I have seen tractors PTO's hooked up to pumps to flood the fields for rice farming. Most farms have some sort of dedicated pump for the flooding. I guess in the past some farmers used an old T-Model to run the pumps.
I was born in La. and I didn't think that you had to flood the fields in southern La.? Ha! My sister lost her home last year, 4 ft. under water.(Vinton,La.)

Top Bottom