• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio Engine

Anderson Howard

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Someone help me out.
I recognize the truncated conical air cleaner. Not a problem.
But what is that red filter looking thing on the left end of the camshaft?
At one time there was to be a 2 step cam. It had 2 lobes side by side and it would move to open the valves more for more power and run on the other lobe for cruise. It may be the solenoid that would move the cam.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Someone help me out.
Come on now, you're old enough to remember when they used to put breathers on the valve covers; that were later replaced by EGR valves.
Same thing.

They looked like this from the bottom
51tpHBL44WL._AC_US240_QL65_[1].jpg

And like this from the top

71q3LouoEqL._SX425_[1].jpg

Attachments

• 31et+vp-ovL._AC_US240_QL65_[1].jpg
    31et+vp-ovL._AC_US240_QL65_[1].jpg
    6 KB · Views: 182

Maurtis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Someone help me out.

Crankcase breather filter. Usually instead of just a filter you would have a PCV system that recycles oily crankcase vapor back into the intake to get burned. In this case is it just vented to the atmosphere. I highly doubt that will make it into production like that.

Last edited:

Mel

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Crankcase breather filter. Usually instead of just a filter you would have a PCV system that recycles oily crankcase vapor back into the intake to get burned. In this case is it just vented to the atmosphere. I highly doubt that will make it into production like that.
Or maybe it will. Remember, we're talking motorcycle rules here, not auto rules.

Maurtis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Even if classified as a motorcycle, can motorcycles legally vent the crankcase to the atmosphere from the factory? None of the bikes I have owned from the last 30 years did that, I really do not recall if my older bikes vented to the airbox or atmo.

I did modify one of my bikes to ditch the airbox and use individual Uni pod filters so had a crankcase filter like Elio is using. But since that was modifying the stock emissions equipment it was technically illegal.

Top Bottom