• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio Engine

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I agree that using this type of system for variable duration is a possibility depending on the implementation. We will just have to see how exactly IAV implements this technology as the details will make all the difference.

Speculation is fun and as we do not have much detail on the valvetrain, and plenty of time on our hands, there is plenty of speculation to be enjoyed. I just wanted to make sure everyone was on the same page when it came to the little bit of information we do have.

When did phones have a dial? ;):D:cool:

I am hoping this is basically what the smartphone app can do. My diesel pickup has a tuner installed which allows me to select various modes so I can select maximum fuel economy both with or without a trailer attached or if I want I can turn the power all the way up and burn my rear tires off in under a minute. :rolleyes:
Must be one helluva truck!

RMClubfitter

Elio Addict
Reaction score

I don't know but I also remember phones before they had dials. You picked up the hand set and the operator said "number please", and I remember phones that had to be cranked. Wow, I told you I was a little old lady. I guess I'm older than even I realized. :p :rolleyes: :) Z

Just like good wine we get better with age.:)

nthawk68

Elio Addict
Reaction score

I don't know but I also remember phones before they had dials. You picked up the hand set and the operator said "number please", and I remember phones that had to be cranked. Wow, I told you I was a little old lady. I guess I'm older than even I realized. :p :rolleyes: :) Z
I remember when we went from crank to dial phone and had the party line with 2 other houses, you would pick up the receiver to seeif anyone else was using the line prior to dialing. then we used to use the crank phone to get worms for fishing, we would drive electrodes in the ground, hook them up to the phone and crank the worms would crawl up to the top and presto fish bait. I bet the EPA would go crazy over that now a days. Thanks for the memories Z

Larryrc1

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I have no problem with aluminuim engine . For uyears I drove a Buick Skylark with a aluminuim 215 and had absolutely no problems and back then I had a hard time keeping my foot out of the carburator especially with the four speed tranny behind it . The BOP engines as they were called , were easy to work on and can be still be found today.

Jeffro

Reaction score
Aluminum engines with ferrous sleeves have been around for over fifty years in both consumer and racing applications. There is no problem with heat related expansion differential between the bore and the block. My BMW engine is built that way as are the engines of most cars I have driven in the last fifty years, whether street or race variations. Some smaller four cylinder engines might still be all iron as are old style American V8s, but the weight savings of aluminum with iron bores has relegated the iron block to small econoboxes, drag racers, and American retro muscle cars/replicas. The coated aluminum bore is another story. The Chevy engine alluded to above had a silicon coated liner that worked fine, except it was subject to instant destruction upon slight overheating wherein the cylinder was permanently damaged and the car could then be used for fogging. It was a terrible engine, anyway, and prone to vibration, resonance and other problems. Few lasted long.

I would be happy with a proven aluminum engine design with thin wall iron linings, perfect for an engine of less than 1/3 liter per cylinder. It would be light and reliable. If it could be substantiated that a flame deposited, ceramic coating would wear 'like iron' (and it should as it is very hard, hard enough to be used as ball bearings), I am willing to accept that, also. It might save 10-12 lbs and reduce the number of required components for the engine. Remember, the Elio design criteria is light weight, strong, and inexpensive to produce. If we buy into that philosophy than taking a chance with a high-tech engine is in order.
Amen! I have no problem with the engine design.......it's so damn simple.......just remember to keep the coolant and oil fresh and don't rag on it....it is a commuter vehicle, not a race car.

checho

Elio Fan
Reaction score
If the CR is 10.5 or higher, Elio may require mid-grade fuel. The 2 valve head means it is more torque and not a high revving motor.
Being a 'motorcycle', Elio won't be burdened w/all the emission plumbing a car requires, only a CAT and a few other minor components.

Are you sure a CAT is required for a motorcycle?
it is best that it does not have a CAT, that way motorcycle oils can be used that are heavy on zinc or any oil heavy on zinc which provides superior protection for the engine can be used, however it is known that zinc is bad for CAT therefore most car oils have very little of it, compare to oils for diesel engines or motorcycle oils.
Also using a top lube oil such as marvel mystery oil or lucas top lube on the gasoline is good to lubricate the top portion of the engine and the valves, but such oils may not be good for the CAT.
In the spirit of a motorcycle and keeping costs down, it would be best to avoid the CAT, the 3 cyl elio being fuel injected does not need a CAT, it will be much cleaner than the average car with a CAT.
Plus the CAT creates a legal nightmare, I know that since I have a van 1980 that uses a carburator and a CAT and it has an screw to adjust the mixture it is not the sealed screw that was introduced a few years later, and it happened to failed emissions, technical it can passed if tuned properly but no shop in the USA dares to touch that mixture screw, in Mexico they will touch the mixture screw but do not have the exhaust analyzers, there are some cheap exhaust analyzers that just check for hydrocarbons and are great for motorcycles are cars without CAT, to tune the vehicle legally due to the CAT it was to much of a pain had to take vehicle off circulation for now. The only way to tune the vehicle using a cheap exhaust analyzer is to take the CAT out, tune the screw for a lean mixture, then put the CAT back, but it is a lot of trouble just to pass emissions.
That same exhaust analyzer used to work great on my old motorcycle due to the lack of a CAT, even though a motorcycle does not really need the exhaust analyzer it was a good learning experience.

In conclusion, I can say that adding a CAT to the Elio is not a good idea unless if required by law, there is no benefit, and a free exhaust will provide better fuel economy since that CAT does cause some back pressure in the exhaust, that is why most motorcycles do not have CATs, plus there is the added cost and CATs are not cheap.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
In conclusion, I can say that adding a CAT to the Elio is not a good idea unless if required by law, there is no benefit, and a free exhaust will provide better fuel economy since that CAT does cause some back pressure in the exhaust, that is why most motorcycles do not have CATs, plus there is the added cost and CATs are not cheap.

We already know this engine is being designed to car specifications and includes a CAT.
What does Eastern Catalytic supply to Elio Motors?

Eastern Catalytic will be supplying Elio Motors the integrated exhaust manifold and catalytic converter, exhaust pipes and hangars, muffler, and tail pipe.

http://www.eliomotors.com/eastern-catalytic/

On this video the catalytic converter is the cone shaped object attached to the exhaust manifold easily visible starting about six seconds into the video.

Due to stricter emissions requirements, at both the federal and sate levels, the majority of new motorcycles available today also have CATs installed. The good news is that modern engines with modern computer controlled fuel injection systems are engineered with CATs in mind and deliver more performance than engines designed just ten years ago even while delivering both better fuel economy and reduced tailpipe emissions.

Last edited:
Top Bottom