• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio Engine

checho

Elio Fan
Reaction score
very interesting, something new I learned today, I was not aware of CATs for motorcycles.
My last motorcycle was year 2007 and did not have a CAT but it was a 250cc,

TKVancil

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, just dug this out of a very recent article, think you folks will smile :)

Once they’re up and running, more powerful versions of the Elio are likely. The engine has been designed by IAV with a turbocharger in mind. Paul Elio told me that Comau, which is providing the machinery and automation for the assembly lines at the Shreveport plant, has left a spot on the line empty for the time being so that a turbo installation station can be added later.

Teh Sargon

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Greetings all! Long time listener, first time caller and I'm "toe-in-the-water" (not "all-in" as I must live with my wife)...and one question about the engine, re: direct injection vs port. It is my understanding that DI is not on the table at this time but might be a future option and my question is "why?" DI offers increased power output for small displacement engines, but at the cost of "coking" the valves. Or is this a non-issue with the IAV design (and if so, how?)

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Greetings all! Long time listener, first time caller and I'm "toe-in-the-water" (not "all-in" as I must live with my wife)...and one question about the engine, re: direct injection vs port. It is my understanding that DI is not on the table at this time but might be a future option and my question is "why?" DI offers increased power output for small displacement engines, but at the cost of "coking" the valves. Or is this a non-issue with the IAV design (and if so, how?)

Welcome to ElioOwners.com! :)

Very good question and first post. As you stated DI is definitely off the table at this time and this decision was made simply due to the added cost. As for it's use in the future I believe EM and IAV are simply keeping their options open, and not ruling out anything, until they actually need to make a decision in the future. I am sure IAV is well aware of the valve coking issue and this very well could be one reason against using direct injection whenever a decision needs to be made.

We are very glad to have you here. You have joined a very diverse group of people from all over the country who really enjoy discussing everything there is to know about this interesting vehicle. I hope you enjoy your time here reading about and/or discussing all there is to know about Elio Motors.

We have a survey we like reservation holders to fill out if they wish as it really helps us visualize the growing numbers and locations of future Elio Owners. For now information visit this link: http://www.elioowners.com/threads/elio-reservation-map-and-survey.1129/

We also have a thread for our many current and former service members to introduce themselves. If that applies to you visit this thread:http://www.elioowners.com/threads/military-service.1118/

If you ever happen to have any issues while on this forum please be sure to notify a staff member as we are here to help. :cool:

TKVancil

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
I haven't raised any concerns about it on any forum but I'll confess, I've been a bit concerned with the all-aluminum engine. Not only bad experience with an early '70's vehicle with aluminum heads but a dozen years as a machinist and now twenty-five years as a mechanical designer cause me to worry a bit. Cast iron sleeves in an aluminum block don't ease my worries any. If you understand the difference in the thermal expansion rate of aluminum vs. cast iron, you know why. But after a little research, I feel better. Here are a couple of excerpts for those who don't want to dig too deep and a link for those who might.

http://www.flame-spray.com/

"An important goal for engine manufacturers is to reduce fuel consumption, which can be accomplished by decreasing overall vehicle weight and improving engine efficiency by reducing the internal friction losses. Substantial weight savings can be achieved with the use of aluminum engines. However, most aluminum engines require cast iron liners to be used as the wear surface. Additional weight savings and potential friction reduction can be achieved by replacing these heavy cast iron liners with a low friction, wear resistant PTWA coating on the cylinder bores. Additional benefits of PTWA in new production engines include improved heat transfer and decreased bore distortion, which reduces friction loss and oil consumption."

"Flame Spray Inc., Port Washington, N.Y.,announces that the Plasma Transferred Wire Arc coating process has been selected by Ford Motor Co. to coat the internal surface of the aluminum engine block cylinder bores in the Ford Shelby GT500 sports car. PTWA provides a lower cost and lower weight alternative to cast iron liners, while delivering increased displacement in the same size engine package, and a potential for better heat transfer."

Ok, at work today I came across this and could not help but think about the above post regarding concerns with the elio engine.
The short version here is that Honda's new engine for the next accord will feature..........an all aluminum engine !!
Oh there's more, it features a simple single over head cam shaft...........Oh there's more, it features dual lobes on the cam shaft for high and low speeds ( theirs also features one more for cylinder deactivation ). The article praises them for how simple the design is and achieving very good fuel economy.
They also have direct injection, but again this is a $30,000 accord. Read the article from the post below and look for your self.

http://wardsauto.com/vehicles-techn...ail`&YM_MID=`mmid`&sfvc4enews=42&cl=article_6

Ashton

Elio Fan
Reaction score
I have looked at the new elio motor block and notice for most part it just looks like geo witch is probably a

good thing. Considering they already have piston,cam shaft,crank shaft,turbo and a whole buch of stuff

that people have improved apon over the years on the metro motor.

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum where everyone is treated equally (except Trolls) no matter of their reservation status. My wife often comes in and looks at the computer and says "oh, Elio's again". Pretty soon she was acceptable to the whole idea. Patience, and you may be able to get your wife to be keen on the Elio too. Following the forum threads you give you plenty of information to convince her this is a fantastic vehicle. Welcome and enjoy the Elio experience.

ecdriver711

Elio Addict
Reaction score
8/27/2014 Tech Talk - More On The Elio Engine. Go to this writeup in the "In the news" here on the forum.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stugotz

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didn't read thru the entire thread but did see some comments about using a motor already in production for the first generation Elio. I have a 2001 Honda Insight with a 1.0 three cylinder engine designed to work with a CVT or Manual transmission, auto stop, also has electric power steering. The insight engine has a timing chain, parts are readily available at any Honda dealer and the motor is rock solid with many cars reaching 300k with just normal maintenance. The down side "if any" to the Insight is the battery pack, which is not needed in the Elio.

I know Honda lost money on the Insight, but that was mostly due to the aluminum body, battery assist, batteries and extensive engineering involved in producing the most fuel efficient "Car" ever build for production. I don't know what it would take to negotiate a deal with Honda for the engine and other components but since they are now out of production a deal might be possible. Just a thought...

http://www.edmunds.com/honda/insight/2001/

Top Bottom