• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio Engine

Jay3wheel

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I also remember a note about "significantly" increasing the size of the rearview mirrors in the production model - I'm curious to see what that's going to look like.

Hopefully, like a big pair of Mickey Mouse ears. This in not intended as a personal attack on any Disney character or the corporation or the genius or species or which mice are a part or even elephants (Dumbo).

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Hopefully, like a big pair of Mickey Mouse ears. This in not intended as a personal attack on any Disney character or the corporation or the genius or species or which mice are a part or even elephants (Dumbo).

a while back I read where EM was obsessing over drag from wind blowing over the windshield wiper .... if they are cutting it that fine, can they go bigger mirrors and not impact wind drag .... consider that to be a question, not a statement ..o_O

Jay3wheel

Elio Addict
Reaction score
a while back I read where EM was obsessing over drag from wind blowing over the windshield wiper .... if they are cutting it that fine, can they go bigger mirrors and not impact wind drag .... consider that to be a question, not a statement ..o_O

I imagine that when you (Elio) are looking to gain another 3 mpg over the current 81 mpg, you will consider about anything to be significant.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I imagine that when you (Elio) are looking to gain another 3 mpg over the current 81 mpg, you will consider about anything to be significant.

not being an engineer (neither one who designs things or one who drives a train o_O ) nor do I play one on TV, it seems to be pretty well standard that adjusting the current generation of computers that control car motors can be used to increase mileage/power/whatever .... to me it would seem reasonable to believe they can pick up some MPG's by such adjustments once the Elio is assembled and being road tested

Edward

Elio Addict
Reaction score
not being an engineer (neither one who designs things or one who drives a train o_O ) nor do I play one on TV, it seems to be pretty well standard that adjusting the current generation of computers that control car motors can be used to increase mileage/power/whatever .... to me it would seem reasonable to believe they can pick up some MPG's by such adjustments once the Elio is assembled and being road tested
There has to be a limit to how much you can accomplish by adjusting the computer. Otherwise, we would have 40mpg SUV's on the road. My bet is that Elio is already squeezing about as much mpg out of the engine as they can, and the rest of it has to be figuring out ways of reducing drag, such as the fenders from the P3 to the P4.

Catia

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There has to be a limit to how much you can accomplish by adjusting the computer. Otherwise, we would have 40mpg SUV's on the road. My bet is that Elio is already squeezing about as much mpg out of the engine as they can, and the rest of it has to be figuring out ways of reducing drag, such as the fenders from the P3 to the P4.
images8TW6E4P3.jpg
Humm I thinking!

Smitty901

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have heard the ELIO with a GEO engine in it was getting 80MPG no proof of it. Just read it some where. From where I sit if that was the case I would have said start production the 4 mpg was not that big a deal.

Cache Man

Elio Addict
Reaction score

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
no clue as to the MPG but from comments I've seen by reporters who have driven the P4, they say they were told to keep the MPH down .... as I recall, to 35 or 45

Top Bottom