• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio Engine

lkptpete

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
MILESTONES – IAV ENGINE –

Since Elio Motors has released little information about the development of the IAV Engine, I thought I'd try to create some tasks/goals that I think they have to achieve to get these engines 'ready' to be placed in Production Elio vehicles. NOTE: I am NOT an auto mechanic, so some of these may be WRONG, or I may have left out some important steps..... but it is an 'attempt'. Feel free to comment, or ADD to these, so we can 'check off' the steps as they are revealed to us.

1. [1 or 2 years ago] Design the Engine.

2. [ Spring 2014] Make MOLDS for engine parts.

3. [Apr-Aug 2014] Receive Cast engine parts.

4. [?] Machine Cast engine parts.

5. [?] Inspect all parts for tolerances.

6. [?] FlameSpray cylinders

7. [?] Obtain all additional engine parts (gaskets, valves, springs, air filter, dip stick, timing chain, exhaust headers, water pump, etc.)

8. [?] Test 'FIT' all parts.

9. [?] Assemble Complete ENGINE.

10. [?] Connect Fuel, Lubrication, Cooling Systems.

11. [?] Check for leaks/flow.

12. [?] Initial Engine RUN.

13. [?] Bench test & Dyno engine.

14. [?] Endurance TEST engine.

15. [?] Install IAV Engine in FIRST “E” Series Vehicle.

16. [?] Make 29 Additional engines for the test vehicles.

17. [?] Set up the production and assembly line at the Shreveport Plant.
And I wish they would let us know where they are within the #4-#14... Steps. I have a funny feeling we won't see anything until a successful #13...

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
And I wish they would let us know where they are within the #4-#14... Steps. I have a funny feeling we won't see anything until a successful #13...

Based on what EM has done in the past I suspect you are very likely correct. They do tend to make sure things are further along before releasing the information.

ArthurKent

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score

Since Elio Motors has released little information about the development of the IAV Engine, I thought I'd try to create some tasks/goals that I think they have to achieve to get these engines 'ready' to be placed in Production Elio vehicles. NOTE: I am NOT an auto mechanic, so some of these may be WRONG, or I may have left out some important steps..... but it is an 'attempt'. Feel free to comment, or ADD to these, so we can 'check off' the steps as they are revealed to us.

7. [?] Obtain all additional engine parts (gaskets, valves, springs, air filter, dip stick, timing chain, exhaust headers, water pump, etc.)

I'm quite sure the folks at IAV, whose knowledge of engines has won them numerous contracts from world renowned automakers know perhaps just a tiny bit more about how to assemble and prepare an engine

Moderator Comment: Edited, portion of comment removed

Last edited by a moderator:

Stephen Workman

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm quite sure the folks at IAV, whose knowledge of engines has won them numerous contracts from world renowned automakers know perhaps just a tiny bit more about how to assemble and prepare an engine
RELAX and let it happen. Eventually we will all show GM/FORD/CHRYSLER what we've wanted/asked for for decades.

Moderator Comment: Edited, portion of comment removed

Last edited by a moderator:

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
People seem to overlook the fact that we are not stockholders or investors. We are potential customers and Elio does not have to inform us of every decision they make. They have no obligation to us to provide day by day or even periodic development reports. IMHO they do a good job in releasing information to the overly curious public. Those who have difficulty with this concept probably should find other projects because they can't deal with the operations reality of Elio Motors. In simple terms, if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

Last edited:

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Moderator Comment: Please refrain from personal attacks. This is a public forum for discussion so disagreements will occur however please try and stay on topic and defend your opinions without resorting to personal comments about other members. If you feel a comment is inappropriate please use the report feature and an administrator will review it as soon as possible.

RogWild

Elio Addict
Reaction score
People seem to overlook the fact that we are not stockholders or investors. We are potential customers and Elio does not have to inform us of every decision they make. They have no obligation to us to provide day by day or even periodic development reports. IMHO they do a good job in releasing information to the overly curious public. Those who have difficulty with this concept probably should find other projects because they can' deal with the operations reality of Elio Motors. In simple terms, if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.
Much of the above is TRUE,..... UNTIL..... Elio Motors started a weekly BLOG with the stated PURPOSE; " "Each week we are taking you along on our journey by sharing some of our progress making your Elio."" Quote from 13, Sept, 2013. Sure sounds like a 'promise / commitment' to me!

Snick

Elio Addict
Reaction score

With hindsight being 20/20, I think EM could have better spent time/money searching for an already in-production engine in volume for a good price. Just about any 2-cylinder motorcycle, 4-stroke engine would have (more than adequate) power and most of the fuel economy. The Elio has better aerodynamics than my Triumph Sprint ST, after all.

This engine development program is dragging the time line out years.

MajorXx

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Perhaps a 2 cylinder motorcycle engine would be adequate....

The choice of a 3 cylinder engine should be better than a 2 cylinder due to vibration.

See the article at - http://www.autozine.org/technical_school/engine/smooth2.htm

Also a new design should provide more torque and be better suited suited to handle the additional weight of the Elio compared to a motorcycle perhaps half its size.

Reducing vibration and RPM should increase the life and reliability of the engine and make for a much more enjoyable environment in the vehicle.

Top Bottom