• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio Engine

ecdriver711

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Usually the rotating radials had two speeds, on and off. So the pilot could somewhat regulate the speed for an approach the aircraft control stick was fitted with a “blip switch” which served to momentarily shut off engine ignition. Sometimes it was safer to perform a dead stick landing. The scarf the pilots wore had two purposes. Stay warmer at altitude and yes, protect his face so as to keep from taking the caster oil thrown by the engine and the exhaust, and ingesting it. These engines usually lasted less then 30 hours between overhauls. At least one version of the most famous WW1 allied fighter, the Sopwith Camel, had the less dependable (rotating) Gnome Monosoupape engine. I just new you guys really would want to know this.;)

Last edited:

Edward

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I still think they should be starting on the P5 body - so that can get going when they get the engine finished.
MK
From http://www.elioowners.com/threads/is-elio-sandbagging.5256/
Unfortunately while the suppliers are indeed working on parts and sub-assemblies in the background no vehicle building just yet. Trust me I know I would hear about that one way or another if they were. ;)

The last I heard was that test vehicle builds would be timed to coincide with when additional engines are ready. Notice, I did not write these builds would happen after the engines are ready or after the engine is done testing. The vehicle builds will very likely begin before the engines are actually ready however this time period will likely be measured in weeks and not months. It does cost EM extra money if they have Technosports begin building these vehicles and then have to sit on them for a while so the most efficient way of doing this is to have the engines ready to go in the vehicles about the time Technosports needs them.

Cache Man

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I still think they should be starting on the P5 body - so that can get going when they get the engine finished.
MK

I had the opportunity to speak with Elio representative Jerome the other day. According to him there is not going to be a "P5" Elio. He explained that the body configuration will be the same as the touring P4. They are planning on putting the new engine in the P4 and that is what it will be for production. I just thought that everyone would like to know this little bit of information. So we are just waiting on the final testing and final tweaks to the engine.

By the way... Jerome is just as easy going on the phone as he seems in the videos. It was great to have the opportunity to speak with him.

Catia

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I had the opportunity to speak with Elio representative Jerome the other day. According to him there is not going to be a "P5" Elio. He explained that the body configuration will be the same as the touring P4. They are planning on putting the new engine in the P4 and that is what it will be for production. I just thought that everyone would like to know this little bit of information. So we are just waiting on the final testing and final tweaks to the engine.

By the way... Jerome is just as easy going on the phone as he seems in the videos. It was great to have the opportunity to speak with him.
:)That is good news Cache Man!

Charlie G

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I thought there was a plan to raise the headroom in the passenger seat. Was that already accomplished on the P4?
I also remember a note about "significantly" increasing the size of the rearview mirrors in the production model - I'm curious to see what that's going to look like.

Top Bottom