• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio Engine

Cache Man

Elio Addict
Reaction score
all of the info released by EM through its management consistently point to having only 1 engine at this time .... it would seem reasonable to believe that the molds and other specialty things needed to produce the current engine are in place ..... so, production of subsequent ones should be a much simpler/quicker process
Elio may have one engine. I feel it is fun to discuss things as a group that I do and don't have the full information about or even surmise based on experience. It is just great watching this autocycle come together. There are many smart people in the Elio Owners group and I bet in many cases our guesses are good. Also, with so many "spies", informants, or otherwise contacts, we eventually receive the information we crave. I enjoy talking with this group.

I feel that unless IAV has a simple sand or investment casting process (I don't know what one they are using - it doesn't appear to be a full hogout), the current parts are indeed very expensive for making just one set/engine. My experience says that several (of each) parts were produced. Since there is variance in the manufacturing processes it would be advisable/advantageous to see some of those (capability variances) in the engine testing. This is oppose to one perfect hand made engine that may only be recreated/produced at a higher price and more labor.

There is sometimes "fallout", or parts that fail NDT penetrant or mag particle inspection. Or the machinist, processor, or assembler said, Ooops! I feel that with Paul Elio's experience this was anticipated. And also if a failure happened in test... it would take a lot more time to recover if there was no additional parts. Also by testing additional engines, data can be gathered about performance in regards to the manufacturing process variances and the impacts to performance. This data would help Paul/IAV know if tolerances (dimensional or otherwise need to be tightened or loosened to reduce cost).

I still feel there are more test engines or assembled engines which is my speculation.

Last edited:

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Elio may have one engine.
I feel that unless IAV has a simple sand or investment casting process (I don't know what one they are using - it doesn't appear to be a full hogout), the current parts are indeed very expensive for making just one set/engine. My experience says that several of each part was produced. Since there is variance in the manufacturing processes it would be advisable/advantageous to see some of those (capability variances) in the engine testing. This is oppose to one perfect hand made engine that may only be recreated/produced at a higher price and more labor.

There is sometimes "fallout", or parts that fail NDT penetrant inspection. Or the machinist, processor, or assembler said, Ooops! I feel that with Paul Elio's experience this was anticipated. And also if a failure happened in test... it would take a lot more time to recover if there was not additional parts. Also by testing additional engines, data can be gathered about performance in regards to the manufacturing process variances and the impacts to performance. This data would help Paul/IAV know if tolerances (dimensional or otherwise need to be tightened or loosened to reduce cost).

I still feel there are more test engines or assembled engines which is my speculation.

I hear it was all done on a printer.:rolleyes:

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The purpose of having the engine up and running is really two fold. First and of course most obvious is engine performance. Secondly and most importantly your testing your ability to fabricate the individual engine components. If all the components are 100% to spec the engine will perform as predicted. So the big test is of your tooling, molds, casting procedures, machining and such.

John Painter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I am fairly sure that there is more than one engine. I am guessing about three or four. If they are doing dry testing they will tear one down to see what has changed and gather dimensional data on it. This is to compare the initial dimensions. But again... this is speculation on my knowledge and experience with testing and validation.

I am sure some info will come out in the meeting today! Wahoo!

I think it is one good looking engine!!
More than a good looking engine, it looks like it would be an easy rebuild. Almost makes me want to have one for the commute and one to see what can be tweaked out of the engine.

ls10

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
That's not impossible, but it wouldn't accurately reflect manufacturing tolerances.
Unless you were joking, in which case you should be aware that it is possible to print metal parts for prototyping.

The engine that has been touring with the P4 was printed. I asked.

Top Bottom