• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio Engine

Hog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
These are threshold step plates for New Jersey transit passenger cars. The coating here functions as both a final finish (preservative), and an antiskid stepping surface.
250px-NJ_Transit_Comet_I_cab_car_5103_at_Ridgewood.jpg

Reid3400

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hey all, we were running the plasma today so I thought I would upload a short video of how us backwoods hillbillies accomplish it, just for some background info. There is also a pic of the completed coating.

View attachment 5279
Very impressive coating system. We have spent 29 years in the senior's health care system. One glaring fact, known to most health care professionals and even low paid cleaners of these facilities is that EVERY client under 60 years of age you will come across, WAS a welder. There is a problem with burning metal that no one seems to have quantified. It produces products which, when breathed, attack the brain. Please get a fresh air supply. Even a cheap new vacuum cleaner with the intake from a clean air source and the output under your hood will give you protection. We still weld as a hobby, but only do our own projects, to minimize the exposure.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This weekend I travelled 800 miles in my fifteen year old, three cylinder, 993cc engined Suzuki Swift. I drove to Cornwall to help "observe" at the London to Land's End classic trial.

The engine is exactly the same as the one fitted to the Elio prototypes. It covered the journey very competently, at the legal speed limit (70 mph on the main routes).

I would have otherwise driven my big BMW 330d, but knew that it had insufficient ground clearance to get to the off road sections.

I thoroughly enjoyed driving with only 53hp, instead of 230 plus and I saved about a third of the fuel the Beemer would have used. I reckon this proved to me that the Elio would make an even better job of the journey.
Thanks, I feel better already!
do you post in mph for the sake of most who don't appreciate metrics? lol

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Now I am excited again! I needed that bad, now it seems like this will happen. I was getting a little concerned about this whole thing with the engine test that I thought we all would be seeing Feb.and did not happen. Then the setback for the from the end of 2015 to 2016. This is indeed good news.

The process can be frustrating to watch however there is good news out there. Missing the engine test date was a disappointment for everyone however we have now had it confirmed by Paul Elio that the delay was caused by IAV not being able to free up an engine test cell. When the testing cell became available EM did get the engine running on the dyno with that testing program progressing again. EM has also shown off more advanced computer simulation images as well as images showing a much more refined vehicle design they have been working on and about ready for pre-production builds.

Last edited:

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
No I have no desire to convert my UK speedometer from mph to metric to please those pesky Europeans. :rolleyes:

Perhaps you don't know ... but in UK we are only partly metrificated. We still drive in statute miles, not kilometers.

I do prefer metric bolts though; far easier to understand.

Thanks for that explanation. I watch Wheeler Dealers and occasionally get totally confused when they talk about performance since I didn't realize you used MPH.

Top Bottom