• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio's 4 Musts.

Folks

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Think again....how many billions of ICE cars are running around all over the world that emits carbon monoxide and nitrogen oxides which are dangerous pollutants EVERY SINGLE DAY????? And how many decades has it been polluting the world since the advent of ICE cars??? That also includes the "other" dangerous emissions released by manufacturers to produce all the hundreds/thousands of ICE parts. Then compare it to EV's - guess how many EVs do you see just in America's roads alone? (I'm not even saying around the globe). And you know what, you forgot that ICE cars won't RUN without BATTERIES! Hah! ;):D Beat electric bicycles you say???? I'm still laughing. :D Here's more...there's a growing number of countries that wants to ban ICE cars due to pollution- the dangers are real although I don't see it happening in our US of A any time soon. Research is your friend.
Hey, 3 wheel, I asked for a comment from an engineer not a propagandist. LOL In no way am I comparing to the conventional ICE. Just the Elio's figures. Also Pleeeeeasse don't in inject the insane rhetoric or sick logic behind climate change either. LOL

Last edited:

Folks

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Think again....how many billions of ICE cars are running around all over the world that emits carbon monoxide and nitrogen oxides which are dangerous pollutants EVERY SINGLE DAY????? And how many decades has it been polluting the world since the advent of ICE cars??? That also includes the "other" dangerous emissions released by manufacturers to produce all the hundreds/thousands of ICE parts. Then compare it to EV's - guess how many EVs do you see just in America's roads alone? (I'm not even saying around the globe). And you know what, you forgot that ICE cars won't RUN without BATTERIES! Hah! ;):D Beat electric bicycles you say???? I'm still laughing. :D Here's more...there's a growing number of countries that wants to ban ICE cars due to pollution- the dangers are real although I don't see it happening in our US of A any time soon. Research is your friend.
We simply mustn't ignore the carbon emissions released in just the manufacturing of the batteries yet alone the those fossil fuels used to create the charging electricity each and every day per unit. 65 to 75 percent of all electricity is produced by fossil fuel generating plants. Also, ICE car batteries are a joke when comparing their modicum of energy to that of batteries for electrics. Oh and don't forget the huge oil driven freighters used to import those lipo batteries from China. PS; a sure way to provide for the demise of America is to copy anything that all these socialized counties are doing. Or have you not noticed Europe lately?

upload_2017-12-11_21-44-34.png

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hey, 3 wheel, I asked for a comment from and engineer not a propagandist. LOL In no way am I comparing to the conventional ICE. Just the Elio's figures. Also Pleeeeeasse don't in inject the insane rhetoric or sick logic behind climate change either. LOL
It piss me off when people are so quick to discredit EV's and using "rhetoric like carbon emissions in creating and manufacturing these batteries". Ring a bell? :D It's kinda hypocritical to give EV's a bad rap when you're still using batteries in your ICE cars, in your flashlights, cell phones, etc. don't you think?? I've driven ICE all my life and I'm fine with it- the SOLO or the ARCIMOTO is something I can afford and use so why even bring up this "ELIO has clear advantage over ANY electric alternatives". You've gotta catch up with your reading bud, 'cause everybody knows that these EV's we're all discussing here are for those that have short commutes and are fine with it. And you really didn't have to seek out an engineer's point of view....because you already know the answer don't ya? :D

Last edited:

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It piss me off when people are so quick to discredit EV's and using "rhetoric like carbon emissions in creating and manufacturing these batteries". Ring a bell? :D It's kinda hypocrite to give EV's a bad rap when you're still using batteries in your ICE cars, in your flashlights, cell phones, etc. don't you think?? I've driven ICE all my life and I'm fine with it- the SOLO or the ARCIMOTO is something I can afford and use so why even bring up this "ELIO has clear advantage over ANY electric alternatives". You've gotta catch up with your reading bud, 'cause everybody knows that these EV's we're all discussing here are for those that have short commutes and are fine with it. And you really didn't have to seek out an engineer's point of view....because you already know the answer don't ya? :D
Any debate is an exercise in futility. :)

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
We simply mustn't ignore the carbon emissions released in just the manufacturing of the batteries yet alone the those fossil fuels used to create the charging electricity each and every day per unit. 65 to 75 percent of all electricity is produced by fossil fuel generating plants. Also, ICE car batteries are a joke when comparing their modicum of energy to that of batteries for electrics. Oh and don't forget the huge oil driven freighters used to import those lipo batteries from China. PS; a sure way to provide for the demise of America is to copy anything that all these socialized counties are doing. Or have you not noticed Europe lately?

View attachment 22258
This is funny but I really like it! Then we shouldn't ignore gasoline refineries all over the world that...and I just googled this "Combined, petroleum emit about 200 million metric tons of greenhouse gases annually". Oh and don't forget the gasoline trucks running around the globe delivering gasoline to gas stations. And who says about copying?? I'm barely saying that some countries are so concerned about these emissions that they're willing to go extreme to the point of banning ICE cars. Have you been to China? I've been there a few months back and you can see people wearing face masks, you see haze and smog just a few yards away in the cities. Here's another one" the government has announced plans that will see a ban on the sale of new diesels and petrol cars & vans in the UK by 2040 in a bid to tackle harmful nitrogen dioxide emissions...". So Bud, stay away from this subject. Let's just talk about "efficiency" which is what these new trikes offers: the ELIO will in paper deliver 84 mpg and 600+ miles of range for those wanting to use it for daily short and long distance drives, the EVs have several advantages over conventional vehicles: Energy Efficient. Evs convert 59-62% of the electrical energy from the grid to power at the wheels. Conventional gasoline vehicles only convert about 17-21% of the energy stored in gasoline to power at the wheels. So, while EVs won't replace ICEVs for long distance driving, it will hold it's own just fine as a "more efficient alternative" for those shorter runs. Ok I'm done here. :D

Last edited:

Made in USA

Elio Addict
Reaction score
One advantage of EV's over ICE is that the EV's should be easier to recycle. Less liquids and parts to handle. Yes, there are some nice things about EV's. I also just read about the future demise of auto mechanics. They are predicting that once EV's are common, about 70% of mechanics will no longer be able to work on the EV's. Only the large dealerships will be able to afford the training and equipment necessary to work on the EV's or have access to the replacement parts. I wonder when the EV technology will become powerful enough for John Deere to make electric tractors, combines, etc., or Caterpillar making electric bulldozers.

I would also like to see more EV's with the capability to convert to 120VAC as a backup generator for emergencies.

Samalross

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This is funny but I really like it! Then we shouldn't ignore gasoline refineries all over the world that...and I just googled this "Combined, petroleum emit about 200 million metric tons of greenhouse gases annually". Oh and don't forget the gasoline trucks running around the globe delivering gasoline to gas stations. And who says about copying?? I'm barely saying that some countries are so concerned about these emissions that they're willing to go extreme to the point of banning ICE cars. Have you been to China? I've been there a few months back and you can see people wearing face masks, you see haze and smog just a few yards away in the cities. Here's another one" the government has announced plans that will see a ban on the sale of new diesels and petrol cars & vans in the UK by 2040 in a bid to tackle harmful nitrogen dioxide emissions...". So Bud, stay away from this subject. Let's just talk about "efficiency" which is what these new trikes offers: the ELIO will in paper deliver 84 mpg and 600+ miles of range for those wanting to use it for daily short and long distance drives, the EVs have several advantages over conventional vehicles: Energy Efficient. Evs convert 59-62% of the electrical energy from the grid to power at the wheels. Conventional gasoline vehicles only convert about 17-21% of the energy stored in gasoline to power at the wheels. So, while EVs won't replace ICEVs for long distance driving, it will hold it's own just fine as a "more efficiently alternatives" for those shorter runs. Ok I'm done here. :D
I only have ICE vehicles. I like them, but I know that they should be eliminated for the future good.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The only reason this conversation is happening is because EV's are slowly becoming a threat to ICE. Back when Elio motors opened their doors for business in 2009, the EV market was a joke. Here we are, ready to celebrate Elio Motors 9th year in business and EV's have changed during that period of time. Back in 2008 when Paul was getting ready to transform the transportation industry, the average price of gas in the US was $3.53/gal and GM was getting to declare bankruptcy. In 2012 the price of gas was $3.64/gal and when Elio decided to allow people to put money down on a spot in line (2013), it was $3.53/gal. At that time, EV's were still 50-60 mile range vehicles or a super duper expensive niche Tesla you could buy.

Look at 2018. We have a selection of EV's and GM has raised the bar with the Bolt. It still doesn't even come close to everything an Elio does but every few years we are seeing increases in EV's that will becomes something that will be in competition with the Elio. This is why Elio has mandated that they will be selling in 2019. Elio corporate (especially the BoD) see the handwriting on the wall and they instituted the 5th must. Start selling by 2019 with full production in 2020.

It's obvious that ICE is a requirement for most people because they drive every day a distance that no EV could ever do on a single charge. Where Elio might see a drop in sales will be the ones that drive 200 mile round trip to work every day because they can use an EV, plus have room for 4 passengers and pass federally mandated car crash standards. By 2020 when the first Elio is sold by a person that didn't have a reservation, that 250K/year annual sales might be 240K/year. By then, who knows what EV's will be available. In 2013 if someone told you by 2017 GM would have the Bolt, they would have been laughed right out of the room.

As we stand right now, Elio reservation holders know that their Elio will be the cleanest ICE ever produced. EV owners will know that their car is the cleanest ever produced. In the end, who is right? We won't know this until 2019.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Elio is just like the EV market. They greenwash their product. Neither one are going to save the planet but is sounds good to say because it sells product.

On the other hand. Everyone is super excited right now because over the last 10 years we have watched EV's starting to become mainstream. People now have a choice. Same for Elio. 3 wheelers have always failed when it came to being mainstream. Elio changed that. Think about it. You have a choice of a 3 or 4 wheeler that you can use 365 days a year anywhere in the US. Same for an EV. 10 years from now we will all be talking about the good ol' days when all of these new choices for personal transportation were finally being made for the masses instead of a niche product.

Top Bottom