• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Front Wheels Setup

Cali Chris

Elio Addict
Reaction score
After all the exposure to the P4, now I don't like being able to see the wheels. With the wheels completely covered it looks like it's levitating. Now seeing a photo with the wheels exposed it looks old or antiquated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ecdriver711

Elio Addict
Reaction score
After all the exposure to the P4, now I don't like being able to see the wheels. With the wheels completely covered it looks like it's levitating. Now seeing a photo with the wheels exposed it looks old or antiquated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Think classic and retro.

mr bad example

Reaction score
have to remember the thing is still a prototype. they engine is still on the drafting table and not in production yet. they are using the geo drive train to show the body and the inside to the public. they do not have to show the drive line yet. when it gets closer to production it will get the new engine. i for one think this engine will not make it having no steel for the cylinder walls. most of us remember the vega! and the fiasco that was. if they make this engine without steel cylinder walls it will fail. nano steel cylinder walls are not the way to make a engine expected to last 1,000's of miles. the b/s engine in the vega made it to 25k and fell apart.
aluminum blocks have worked fine for decades, i had a vega 35 years ago, soured me for a while on that concept, i currently have a smart, 6 years, 54K miles, do oil changes every 6K, runs like new, it's a mitsubishi engine, Mitsu has 10yr/100K warranties on their cars, i doubt they screwed mercedes with a faulty design. things have changed in the last 50 years, dwelling on the Vega is foolish, most modern cars have aluminum blocks and heads (cast iron is desirable, along with a 6:1 compression ratio, we all can't have model T's now a days)

mr bad example

Reaction score
Think classic and retro.
chrysler had that hot rod thingy a few years ago, my sis-in-law has one, the prowler. maybe a few $ more plastic makes for better airflow/fuel economy. i haven't had a flat tire in over 20 years, 4 bolts more on a cold, rainy night may be a pain in the arse, i doubt a cop will pull you over without the covers. i have a smart that leaves twin whale-tails of water behind me on wet roads, the rear tires are at the very rear of the car, fun to watch the spray in the rear view mirror, and keeps most tail-gaters off my butt. with the Elio, you're looking at 15" wheels, most likely 1100 lb capacity per tire, the car will weigh under 1300 lbs, getting a flat will be near impossible. i would do a test run with the covers on and off, i seriously doubt a measurable difference in economy. lose the fenders, get taller, skinnier tires and you get a hyper-miler! instead of 84mpgs, get VW old beetle tires and get 100mpgs! (i'm gonna put them on my smart this summer, loong legs!)

dgruis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Three years ago I hit a piece of steel on the street, and got a tear in the rear right tire of my smart. The cart was sitting nearly level, very little squat on the badly gashed tire. I drove slowly approximately three miles to a tire shop in Des Moines. I stopped every few blocks to check the rim, the flat tire walls easily held the smart rim off the ground. The tire was too slashed to be repaired, but the flat got me to where I needed to go. The Elio would be significantly lighter.

Grayfox72

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
img-2X.jpg

Top Bottom