• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Hud For The Elio

Do you like the Elio?

• Yes

Votes: 61 83.6%
  • Yes

Votes: 12 16.4%

• Total voters

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Also, Waze has the option of Morgan Freeman's voice giving you directions.
Nothing like the voice of God telling you where to go!

Groan.png
Groan.png
Groan.png
Groan.png

Rob Croson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I use an app called Waze.
Waze is owned by Google, but you won't find this in any obvious location on their web site, or on the Google Play store. They bought Wzae for something like $1.1 billion back in 2013. Data entered by Waze users is fed back into Google maps. When using Google Mas in Navigate or Driving mode, it automatically pulls traffic,construction, accident, etc data to evaluate your route, providing alternate routes as applicable. I occasionally see accidents on my route tagged as "Reported by Waze".

Maps' Driving mode is relatively new, but very nice. It works kind of like Navigate mode, but you don't need to put in a destination and it won't give you directions. You just start maps and hit the "Start Driving" link. It will show you conditions on the road ahead just like navigate mode, and offer alternate routes in real time. I imagine they used some of the technology they got when they acquired Waze to supplement the capabilities of Maps.

Not saying that Maps has all the capabilities of Waze, but it is quite capable on its own.

acamara

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Maps' Driving mode is relatively new, but very nice. It works kind of like Navigate mode, but you don't need to put in a destination and it won't give you directions. You just start maps and hit the "Start Driving" link. It will show you conditions on the road ahead just like navigate mode, and offer alternate routes in real time. I imagine they used some of the technology they got when they acquired Waze to supplement the capabilities of Maps.

Yes you are correct Waze was developed by an Israel Start up Company and purchased by Google in 2013.

I have been using Waze now for 3 years and I can input a Location or Address and it will give directions as well as the choice of 3 Alternative Modes.

It warns the Users when approaching a Speed Camera controlled Intersection with an Audible Warning such as "Speed Camera Ahead" and a flashing signal on the screen and displays distance to this Speed Camera. Since this year it even displays the Current Road speed Limit and flashes red when we exceed this Speed Limit.

It is downloadable from Play Store and is free.

I have used Maps but prefer Waze as it has more up to date and on time Wazer interactive reporting.

Waze will even allow the user to create new Roads not yet shown on Waze by "Paving" a new Road. Then using Map Editor can be entered edited and finalized for all other Wazers to use.

Last edited:

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You almost had me. I was about to ask where he got a compressor that "pulls 78% nitrogen". Then I said to myself "Hey dumb ass, dry air IS 78% nitrogen". However I do like the seasonal air idea. How about adding that smell that the gas companies add to natural gas?:rolleyes:
:D I aim to please!

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yes you are correct Waze was developed by an Israel Start up Company and purchased by Google in 2013.

I have been using Waze now for 3 years and I can input a Location or Address and it will give directions as well as the choice of 3 Alternative Modes.

It warns the Users when approaching a Speed Camera controlled Intersection with an Audible Warning such as "Speed Camera Ahead" and a flashing signal on the screen and displays distance to this Speed Camera. Since this year it even displays the Current Road speed Limit and flashes red when we exceed this Speed Limit.

It is downloadable from Play Store and is free.

I have used Maps but prefer Waze as it has more up to date and on time Wazer interactive reporting.

Waze will even allow the user to create new Roads not yet shown on Waze by "Paving" a new Road. Then using Map Editor can be entered edited and finalized for all other Wazers to use.
Yup. Waze is pretty cool. There was an error in getting to my previous house. For some reason, it wanted to drive around a traffic circle past my house and then enter through my back yard. I got online and edited the map and voila! Problem solved. I need to go on Waze and suggest that in addition to being able to report an accident or construction, it would be nice to be able to report what lane(s) are blocked so Waze users can go ahead and get in the right lane. That way, we can all openly cuss that @#*@# who doesn't think he needs to wait in line like the rest of us and zooms ahead of a bunch of us and squeak in right at the cones. I'm talking to you, Mr. Mini with the British flag in Papillion, Nebraska yesterday. What a jerk. Anyway, Waze rocks.

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
... I need to go on Waze and suggest that in addition to being able to report an accident or construction, it would be nice to be able to report what lane(s) are blocked so Waze users can go ahead and get in the right lane. That way, we can all openly cuss that @#*@# who doesn't think he needs to wait in line like the rest of us and zooms ahead of a bunch of us and squeak in right at the cones....

Using all lanes right up to the merge zone is the fastest and safest for all drivers involved. It's called the "zipper merge". You might think you are doing the right thing by moving into the open lane a mile in advance, but all you are really doing is clogging up the highway more.

When all cars fill both lanes right up to the cones, then each lets the other through one-at-a-time, things work real smooth :) In some places, it's even the law!

Muzhik

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This might be a tangent, BUT... lately, whenever I check the "HUD for the Elio" thread, the banner ad at the top is for "FLIR", as in Forward Looking InfraRed. The kind of thing gunship pilots use to target hostiles on the ground. The link drops you on a page advertising,
Get a FREE Copy of "12 Things to Know Before Buying an Infrared Camera"

Just think: link your FLIR to your HUD and you get something that lets you see terrorists in the dark and find critters that think they can actually make it across the freeway before you arrive. Either way, it's dinner on the run.

Remember: you kill it. you eat it.

Top Bottom