• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Hud For The Elio

Do you like the Elio?

• Yes

Votes: 61 83.6%
  • Yes

Votes: 12 16.4%

• Total voters

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
When I used to drive AT&T vehicles we were required to take Smith System training.
Basically......
Aim High in Steering .....
Keep Your Eyes Moving ...
Get The Big Picture ...​
The way I see it is that too many people are looking at the road right off the front of their hood.
Either that or at their electronic gadget to give them directions.
Or texting!!!
As a result, they have no idea what is happening four or five cars ahead and are not ready to take any action.
I agree. It is almost as if people can still drive but they have lost the art of driving well.

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score
But that is the entire purpose of the Zipper Merge. The people in the "through" lane must slow down for the person in the merge lane, so that the person in the merge lane doesn't need to stop at the cones. When done properly, nobody is stopping, and the zipper merge can speed up traffic by up to 15% and reduce the backup by up to 50%. This means less traffic backing up onto onramps and arterials as well.

The zipper merge isn't just a theory, it is a common practice in Europe (even the law, in some places) and it works almost flawlessly. All it takes is people in the through-lane giving up the notion that they have the right-of-way. Both lanes have equal right-of-way, and each lane takes turn merging with each-other like the teeth of a zipper.

More state DOTs here are adopting this method as the ideal, and we are starting to see sign changes that say "Merge Zone Ahead" instead of "Left Lane Ends Ahead". But until the public is educated on how to perform a zipper merge, it will continue to not work. :(
This is how merging is supposed to work now. But people are selfish and refuse to merge properly. They won't do it anymore than they will stop tailgating.

raptor213

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Back to discussion on the HUD...

I sent Elio Motors the following suggesting via email:

"
Elio Motors,

I was extremely pleased to see the iScout combiner HUD become an option on the myElio configurator a number of weeks ago. It's positives are numerous - compact installation space, features galore, attractive price point, etc.

But I'd like to propose a bit of competition in the HUD offerings, if I may.

Continental - one of Elio's key supplier partners already - specializes in automotive HUD applications across the globe. They are on the leading edge of debuting new projection technology in a family of augmented reality head-up displays in the coming months, and their stated features are impressive. They include of course the benefits of augmented reality graphic representation of data, GPS turn-by-turn navigation, lane departure warning, adaptive cruise control, and others.

For more information: http://continental-head-up-display.com

Given the existing collaborative working relationship with Continental, and the fact that Paul Elio himself touts the prospect of Tier 1 suppliers having the revolutionary opportunity to debut their newest products as soon as they are publicly available on the lowest price point vehicle first with the Elio concept, what would it take to suggest the two companies task a working group to determine the business case for providing such an offering?
"

and they responded with:

"We have looked into this option from a few different vantage points and will come out soon with more details on what we believe will fit the Elio best. Once again, thanks for your suggestions and information!

Thanks,
Elio Team"

There might possibly be competing HUD's available on the Configurator in due time?

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Back to discussion on the HUD...

I sent Elio Motors the following suggesting via email:

"
Elio Motors,

I was extremely pleased to see the iScout combiner HUD become an option on the myElio configurator a number of weeks ago. It's positives are numerous - compact installation space, features galore, attractive price point, etc.

But I'd like to propose a bit of competition in the HUD offerings, if I may.

Continental - one of Elio's key supplier partners already - specializes in automotive HUD applications across the globe. They are on the leading edge of debuting new projection technology in a family of augmented reality head-up displays in the coming months, and their stated features are impressive. They include of course the benefits of augmented reality graphic representation of data, GPS turn-by-turn navigation, lane departure warning, adaptive cruise control, and others.

For more information: http://continental-head-up-display.com

Given the existing collaborative working relationship with Continental, and the fact that Paul Elio himself touts the prospect of Tier 1 suppliers having the revolutionary opportunity to debut their newest products as soon as they are publicly available on the lowest price point vehicle first with the Elio concept, what would it take to suggest the two companies task a working group to determine the business case for providing such an offering?
"

and they responded with:

"We have looked into this option from a few different vantage points and will come out soon with more details on what we believe will fit the Elio best. Once again, thanks for your suggestions and information!

Thanks,
Elio Team"

There might possibly be competing HUD's available on the Configurator in due time?
That's interesting from another point of view; EM is no longer pushing the Skyz system and going more with other HUD and car systems.
I think that 30 min "Show and Tell" Skyz did, did more to hurt then help them.

raptor213

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As one of the younger Elio adopters in the crowd (age 28 when I went All-In), and as a tech-savvy millennial, I think the features made available by the Infinite Skyz system are badass, for lack of a better adjective.

That said, I can't bring myself to spend $2000 up-front for licensing rights to a mobile app and the purchase/installation of a nifty electronics box that simply acts as a reconciliation hub designed to accept multiple data input protocols across various sensors and systems, convert the raw data into formats transferable across the Internet-of-Things, and present the information in an aesthetically appealing manner on a tablet that may or may not be included in the stated price. Then, like a Sirius/XM or OnStar type service, there would be a recurring wireless data plan to pay for, plus regulatory taxes, fees, and surcharges, to a third-party telecom provider like AT&T or similar.

Maybe the cost proposition would be an easier pill to swallow if it was a $2000 markup on a $40,000 vehicle, but the justification is much more difficult to argue in favor of when the vehicle in question costs only $7,000.

Also, as someone who attempts to not act on emotion but follow due diligence and make informed decisions, there's something about the Infinite Skyz corporate story that seems sketchy. I can't find anything substantive about the company's past business dealings, failures, successes, etc. Their main website is horribly out-of-date and appears not to have been touched by a Website Administrator in any significant way since November 2014. Their Facebook and Twitter feeds simply re-post press releases also publicly shared by Elio Motors. I did deduce that the company President is Bruce Paggeot, a man in his 50's with a B.S. engineering degree from Michigan Tech in the late '80's and a global online footprint of apparently dealing with mobile enterprise platform designs and solutions.

But overall, I'm somewhat put off by the lack of information publicly available concerning an operation that touts its corporate success and existence on enhancing the Internet-of-Things experience.

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
continental_hud-jpg.11259.jpg

If we buy the HUD, do we get the gauges too?

Top Bottom