• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Hud For The Elio

Do you like the Elio?

• Yes

Votes: 61 83.6%
  • Yes

Votes: 12 16.4%

• Total voters

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Are you still testing it?
If so, turn off data on your phone so the only input it's getting is by cable to the OBDII.
Go out and drive around and see what data is still picked up and what is missing.
That will tell us a lot. :thumb:
OK. Yes, the instrument's interior GPS will find and map your location without a cellphone connection -- but it takes a while to lock on. And yes, the speed information seems to be from the OBD-II data (at least at first). You can also use a stored trip to navigate to without a phone connection. But to start a new trip you definitely need the phone.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Cmon............ Coss you corrected it.
I ain't that dumb.
But if you edit something doesn't it say edited in the lower right corner? You sure you saw something in my post?

OK. Yes, the instrument's interior GPS will find and map your location without a cellphone connection -- but it takes a while to lock on. And yes, the speed information seems to be from the OBD-II data (at least at first). You can also use a stored trip to navigate to without a phone connection. But to start a new trip you definitely need the phone.

Ok, that tells me what I wanted to know about the speedo and that's good news.
As for the maps, I kind of expected the results; and a little disappointed that it has to have a fresh data link to download each time.
But I've had a couple NAV devices and found I don't use them enough to be necessary.
Thanks Eric for doing that.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Two more Navdy shots, these showing the map, not the dash, function. NOT the safest photos I've ever taken ....

Attachments

• -_DSC8007 Navdy showing map.jpg
    -_DSC8007 Navdy showing map.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 205
  • -_DSC7997 Navdy showing map.jpg
    -_DSC7997 Navdy showing map.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 217

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A close up from DSC8007. Hopefully, this is clearer --the uploading algorithm here trashes pictures.

----

Doesn't matter what I do, still looks like crap. I'm going to post higher res versions elsewhere and give you guys the link. Ugh.

Attachments

• _DSC8007 Navdy map detail.jpg
    _DSC8007 Navdy map detail.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 194

Rob Croson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
But if you edit something doesn't it say edited in the lower right corner?
Just as an FYI: If you edit a post quickly enough after posting it, then the edit tag is not added. This is a "courtesy edit" grace period that almost all forum software includes. It covers those "oh crap" typo edits you notice right after hitting the Post button.

Maurtis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
How does the Navdy compare to the iScout? Looks like the iScout is half the price ($379 pre-order price vs $799 for the Navdy) and the iScout has the blindspot cameras and dash cam.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
How does the Navdy compare to the iScout? Looks like the iScout is half the price ($379 pre-order price vs $799 for the Navdy) and the iScout has the blindspot cameras and dash cam.
At $799 I would not buy the Navdy. I wouldn't buy it for half of that. I would pay 350 to $400 for it. It looks as if the iScout is going to do a better job, but I'm not sure it's as well made. On the Navdy, everything from the electrical cords to the little stick on buttons that hold your wire in place to the electrical connection which is magnetic are thought out really well and executed very solidly. The Navdy
is a high-quality piece of work. But I sure as hell wouldn't want to pay that much for it. If the iScout is made halfway decently, it seems to offer more functionality at a better price. Certainly more Elios kind of thing.

As an early adopter and tester I got mine for 300 bucks, and I feel it was worth that much for sure.

Last edited:
Top Bottom