• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Hud For The Elio

Do you like the Elio?

• Yes

Votes: 61 83.6%
  • Yes

Votes: 12 16.4%

• Total voters

Folks

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Anything that takes your attention away from the constant observations of traffic in the immediate vicinity your vehicle on all points is a threat to your safety while driving. Consequently any gadget that doesn't contribute to that awareness is of no interest to me. GPS is the exception and Hud makes it even safer because it integrates GPS most transparently into driver observations and awareness.

To improve your view of traffic I'm thinking the following might work. I'm hoping with all the breaking improvements in cameras in drones and rear viewing cameras we might find a way to increase the view disadvantage of low slung vehicles like the Elio. Taller vehicles afford far superior view of traffic and thus have a superior situational benefit over lower slung vehicles, especially in bumper to bumper. Unless you've experienced this superior view you're never going to get my point.
I'm just thinking how cool it would be to get a HD micro camera somehow positioned 5 or 6 feet above the driver. I know this sounds screwy but I would love a way to periscope it when needed. Being able to extend it only in rush hour traffic would satisfy me and would not present an aerodynamic problem at those lower speeds.
Watch your sixes. It's a war going on
out there. LOL
I remain convinced surviving fighter pilots possessed superior situational awareness and vision as their strongest asset. We have more fun when we survive. LOL

Last edited:

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Anything that takes your attention away from the constant observations traffic in the immediate vicinity your vehicle on all points is a threat to your safety while driving. Consequently any gadget that doesn't contribute to that awareness is of no interest to me. GPS is the exception and Hud makes it even safer because it integrates GPS most transparently into driver observations and awareness.

To improve your view of traffic I'm thinking the following might work. I'm hoping with all the breaking improvements in cameras in drones and rear viewing cameras we might find a way to increase the view disadvantage of low slung vehicles like the Elio. Taller vehicles afford far superior view of traffic and thus have a superior situational benefit over lower slung vehicles, especially in backed up bumper to bumper. Unless you've experienced this superior view you're never going to get my point.
I'm just thinking how cool it would be to get a HD micro camera somehow positioned 5 or 6 feet above the driver. I know this sounds screwy but I would love a way to periscope it when needed. Being able to extend it only in rush hour traffic would satisfy me and would not present an aerodynamic problem at those lower speeds.
Watch your sixes. It's a war going on
out there. LOL
I remain convinced surviving fighter pilots possessed superior situational awareness and vision as their strongest asset. We have more fun when we survive. LOL
I thought you were going to suggest deployable drones on every Elio; it would dock just above the "trunk" lid, and with the push of a button, or a verbal command, it would deploy above your Elio and broadcast to a monitor in the visor so you can get a view above the traffic.

Folks

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I thought you were going to suggest deployable drones on every Elio; it would dock just above the "trunk" lid, and with the push of a button, or a verbal command, it would deploy above your Elio and broadcast to a monitor in the visor so you can get a view above the traffic.
Oh yeah, That'd be way cool. Piloting both at the same time would really help me concentrate
more on safe driving, right? I only mentioned drones in they have forced improved miniaturization of a quality camera.
Thanks for the humor. LOL

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh yeah, That'd be way cool. Piloting both at the same time would really help me concentrate
more on safe driving, right? I only mentioned drones in they have forced improved miniaturization of a quality camera.
Thanks for the humor. LOL
That's old school thinking; I guessing you haven't met Lily

Folks

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm inclined towards John b gone's tether. Coss, Take it from one of the greatest RC scratch builder pilots that ever lived one RF dead spot even for a second and kablooey your history; Also even an autonomous Drone won't cut it when you're blinded behind clouds of rain spray from a Simi's sliptream.
Here's my thinking; A retractable and reasonably rigid rod extended maybe as high as 6 feet diagonally off the back of any low slung vehicle. No rod can be stable enough even at low speeds unless is was made somewhat flyable with servo controlled vertical and horizontal vanes.
The attached camera could be wind stabilized by autonomously operated vanes much as Coss's drone. With the camera's built in image stabilization this could be a quite stable and vibration free platform. We might even be able to label it "The Catbird's Seat".

Look out. Sometimes I get a little carried away. We could extend it somewhat further out the back and dangle it in the windshield of a tailgater. Heck, shape it like a menacing hornet or something.
PS I'm not really the greatest pilot that ever lived. That was a term I used to psych out the competition while waiting in line to launch in RC Glider competitions.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm inclined towards John b gone's tether. Coss, Take it from one of the greatest RC scratch builder pilots that ever lived one RF dead spot even for a second and kablooey your history; Also even an autonomous Drone won't cut it when you're blinded behind clouds of rain spray from a Simi's sliptream.
Here's my thinking; A retractable and reasonably rigid rod extended maybe as high as 6 feet diagonally off the back of any low slung vehicle. No rod can be stable enough even at low speeds unless is was made somewhat flyable with servo controlled vertical and horizontal vanes.
The attached camera could be wind stabilized by autonomously operated vanes much as Coss's drone. With the camera's built in image stabilization this could be a quite stable and vibration free platform. We might even be able to label it "The Catbird's Seat".

Look out. Sometimes I get a little carried away. We could extend it somewhat further out the back and dangle it in the windshield of a tailgater. Heck, shape it like a menacing hornet or something.
PS I'm not really the greatest pilot that ever lived. That was a term I used to psych out the competition while waiting in line to launch in RC Glider competitions.
I got the idea for the drone when someone asked for a camera to "...Being able to extend it only in rush hour traffic would satisfy me and would not present an aerodynamic problem at those lower speeds......"
Gee I wonder where I read that? So clouds and rain mist for semi wouldn't be an issue.
I wonder who could have said that on Friday at around 11:03 on my display #191

Folks

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I got the idea for the drone when someone asked for a camera to "...Being able to extend it only in rush hour traffic would satisfy me and would not present an aerodynamic problem at those lower speeds......"
Gee I wonder where I read that? So clouds and rain mist for semi wouldn't be an issue.
I wonder who could have said that on Friday at around 11:03 on my display #191
Hey, lighten up. We're not writing a law. Nothing carved in stone. I'm just throwing out ideas.
The tether idea seems to be looking more ubiquitous and less expensive (that's an understatement) than the Lily, rain or shine. So what's the big whup. Ross, loan me your brain and put your thinking cap on and lets see what other ideas might pop up here. I want the "Catbird seat" view of traffic. LOL

Last edited:

wizard of ahs

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Drones, periscopes, etc., ......we don't need no stinkin' drones, periscopes, etc., .........................
Back in the day, I had a MG midget..........I'm 6'4" and I think I MIGHT have been, MAYBE, 3 feet off the ground at eye level........
NEVER had a problem, I'M STILL HERE !!!

Folks

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Drones, periscopes, etc., ......we don't need no stinkin' drones, periscopes, etc., .........................
Back in the day, I had a MG midget..........I'm 6'4" and I think I MIGHT have been, MAYBE, 3 feet off the ground at eye level........
NEVER had a problem, I'M STILL HERE !!!
Hey, Coss, who'd you say was old school? My calculations has old Aha here hanging at least 4 feet out the top of that bad boy. Wizard you must have looked pretty spiffy riding around with your 6' 4" frame hanging out of the top a an MG midget. Hey Wizard, maybe you might have a picture of you hanging out of that thing. I'm picturing really top heavy here. Guess you did without a roll bar too. LOL

Top Bottom