• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Hud For The Elio

Do you like the Elio?

• Yes

Votes: 61 83.6%
  • Yes

Votes: 12 16.4%

• Total voters

Rob Croson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Not surprising. The unit was too expensive, and many new cars, even lower priced base models, are coming with built-in screens to display everything the Navdy does, directly integrated into the car. AFAIK, the only thing the Navdy added was the HUD style see-through display. If you didn't have it built into your car already, you could get most of the same functionality, albeit without the see-through "cool" factor, with a $10 suction cup mount for your smart phone. If the price was $100, or maybe even $200, they probably could have had a decent market. But not for $500. (Let alone the $800 it debuted at!)

Maurtis

Elio Addict
Reaction score

wizard of ahs

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Bummer... My bad on the mis-reporting. Navdy IS liquidating but the dIscount was the Elio HUD. I just remembered wrong.

Last edited:

Samalross

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Cutting edge technology has a very short life. If Elio starts production in 2019 they would probably only be able to charge about $20 for the Iscout.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The problem with some of these companies is that the technology they have is not exclusive and they end up failing in the OEM integration thus they go out of business. This happened a few years ago in the instrument cluster industry as the digital companies failed in OEM integration and the traditional OEM suppliers just developed it on their own.

It's become cheaper to make a digital instrument cluster as opposed to a traditional one. This is because they can integrate many other systems into it (i.e. backup camera, navigation, warnings, blind spot monitoring, custom displays, diagnostics, etc...). Think if it as an iPad as your instrument cluster. Combine everything into one unit, thus cheaper for the manufacturer as opposed to separate systems. When the Elio comes out in 2019, they will actually be using a more expensive instrument cluster as opposed to what they could be using since in 2 years, the price will even be lower than today. If they did go the cheaper route, they could program in the Lord Elgin look as an optional display. It would be a way Paul can honor his father and do it cheaper.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The problem with some of these companies is that the technology they have is not exclusive and they end up failing in the OEM integration thus they go out of business. This happened a few years ago in the instrument cluster industry as the digital companies failed in OEM integration and the traditional OEM suppliers just developed it on their own.

It's become cheaper to make a digital instrument cluster as opposed to a traditional one. This is because they can integrate many other systems into it (i.e. backup camera, navigation, warnings, blind spot monitoring, custom displays, diagnostics, etc...). Think if it as an iPad as your instrument cluster. Combine everything into one unit, thus cheaper for the manufacturer as opposed to separate systems. When the Elio comes out in 2019, they will actually be using a more expensive instrument cluster as opposed to what they could be using since in 2 years, the price will even be lower than today. If they did go the cheaper route, they could program in the Lord Elgin look as an optional display. It would be a way Paul can honor his father and do it cheaper.

Good point. It does seem it would be cheaper to have a single consolidated video screen than individual lights (high beam, turn indicators, engine, airbag, etc). I mean, you can get a kindle tablet for $49. How cheap ARE the analog dashes now?

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I wish water, oil pressure, tach, and speedometer were analogue. Proof that I am old.
I also prefer analog gauges. Actually, it would be more accurate to say I prefer the look of analog gauges. Those gauges you speak of, Samalross, are probably not analog in your current vehicle. Most speedometers and tachs are electronic which activate an analog needle. This makes them no more reliable than a digital version of a pointer. But, the actual gauge is electronic. If you mean that you'd rather see an actual oil pressure rather than an idiot light, I agree.

I forgot my point. A digital dash can emulate an analog one well enough you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference (look how some of the Google wear watches look just like analog watches). It'd then be able to handle all manner of alerts and also could double as a back-up camera monitor when necessary.

Last edited:

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I wish water, oil pressure, tach, and speedometer were analogue. Proof that I am old.
The digital dashes can be made to look analog. In the end, water, oil, tach and speedo are digital sensors that are fed into the CAN-BUS then it goes to the instrument cluster that just drives stepper motors. The problem with regular clusters is that you can only fit about 4 gauges in them anyway (tach, speedo, gas and water temp). With a digital dash, you could customize it to have whatever you want in number, bar or dial form. Just go check out a brand new VW Tiguan or Atlas. They have a digital dash and they are customizable along with having things like NAV. The radio is just like a android tablet but it still has two knobs. Those two screens alone will tell you so much more than any older car ever would even if you fitted it with a boatload of autometer gauges.

Elio could at least do the instrument cluster this way and then just use the center of the screen as a rear view camera that is on all of the time. Instead of looking up at a mirror, you look down at the cluster. VW uses the center of the instrument cluster for NAV, thus you are not looking over to the right and down all of the time.

Here's an example: http://www.vw.com/models/tiguan/section/performance/

Reactions: Ty
Top Bottom