• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Hud For The Elio

Do you like the Elio?

• Yes

Votes: 61 83.6%
  • Yes

Votes: 12 16.4%

• Total voters

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
And besides you; who has called it a Skyzmatic-Lite?
Who makes it is withheld because they don't need people contacting the manufacturer to ask questions.
If you have questions, you can contact Elio Motors and ask them.
I have a list of all the contact information for EM if you need it.
I believe that was just my earlier post re-quoted... I'm the one that said Skyzmatic-Lite ... Not meaning that it was made by Infinite Skyz but rather it was a unit that offered some of the functionality but not all the functionality of the Infinite Skyz Skyzmatic system.

Reactions: Ekh

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I believe that was just my earlier post re-quoted... I'm the one that said Skyzmatic-Lite ... Not meaning that it was made by Infinite Skyz but rather it was a unit that offered some of the functionality but not all the functionality of the Infinite Skyz Skyzmatic system.
You really think so? I see similarities in some ways, but I look at the tech end of it.
The Skyz plugs into the OBD II but is intended to work in a with the CAN.
The HUD system does plug into the OBD II also but I think that where the similarity ends; it's more of a self contained unit than the Skyz is.
When it comes down to the roots, the Skyz System is pretty much just software.
The HUD is a hardware & software system (cameras built in)

Hob

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Coss, From what I can glean, the Skyz system is basically a black box (the SkyzBox) piece of hardware that's sort of a central I/O integrator & dispatcher between various interfaces, some internal to it like WiFi, cell, bluetooth, etc., some external like OBD II->CAN, cameras, blindspot detectors, etc. and some UI & control software apps provided by Skyz for use on a smart phone, tablet or watch. It does seem way overpriced for just the SkyzBox and some app software, leaving you the customer to supply any/all UI & control app devices and any other additional hardware like cameras, sensors, etc.

Back to the HUD though.. In the "Additions to the Configurator" Trending email there is mention of "a projector SIM card slot" for the HUD. I'd really like to know what that means.. Is a SIM card for a cell carrier going to be required, or optional. And, if it's optional, can your smart phone be used to provide the communication functionality (a.k.a. internet connectivity) a SIM card in the unit would provide?

Initially, the HUD does seem like a better deal, and more useful. But, there's butt load of questions that need answering.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Coss, From what I can glean, the Skyz system is basically a black box (the SkyzBox) piece of hardware that's sort of a central I/O integrator & dispatcher between various interfaces, some internal to it like WiFi, cell, bluetooth, etc., some external like OBD II->CAN, cameras, blindspot detectors, etc. and some UI & control software apps provided by Skyz for use on a smart phone, tablet or watch. It does seem way overpriced for just the SkyzBox and some app software, leaving you the customer to supply any/all UI & control app devices and any other additional hardware like cameras, sensors, etc.

Back to the HUD though.. In the "Additions to the Configurator" Trending email there is mention of "a projector SIM card slot" for the HUD. I'd really like to know what that means.. Is a SIM card for a cell carrier going to be required, or optional. And, if it's optional, can your smart phone be used to provide the communication functionality (a.k.a. internet connectivity) a SIM card in the unit would provide?

Initially, the HUD does seem like a better deal, and more useful. But, there's butt load of questions that need answering.
Agreed, and once EM let's us know who the manufacturer is we're all guessing.
I personally have never heard of a "projector SIM card"; I know what a SIM card is, but not a projector SIM card. I wonder if they meant "Projected SIM card", as in they have plans for being able to use a SIM card in it. If that is the case, Verizon users are out of luck; their phones still don't use SIM cards (unless they changed that in the last 3 years).
As for other apps that do the same thing; go look at Torque
You could use it and tie in some other apps that are out, put it on a laptop, and there you go; your own Skyzmatic system.

Hob

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
My WAG on it is.. the "projector" is the device that is mounted on top of the dash (which is the unit itself).. as in HUD projector.

Somebody mentioned earlier that they (Spade Teche, if this is indeed an iSCOUT) was planning on providing their own map data. In which case a having a SIM to download map data would make some sense. I would hope though that one could use a connected smart phone for that.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I personally have never heard of a "projector SIM card"; I know what a SIM card is, but not a projector SIM card. I wonder if they meant "Projected SIM card", as in they have plans for being able to use a SIM card in it. If that is the case, Verizon users are out of luck; their phones still don't use SIM cards (unless they changed that in the last 3 years).
You could use it and tie in some other apps that are out, put it on a laptop, and there you go; your own Skyzmatic system.

My WAG on it is.. the "projector" is the device that is mounted on top of the dash (which is the unit itself).. as in HUD projector.

Somebody mentioned earlier that they (Spade Teche, if this is indeed an iSCOUT) was planning on providing their own map data. In which case a having a SIM to download map data would make some sense. I would hope though that one could use a connected smart phone for that.

What I don't get is why, after hearing Paul speak about the problems with packaging, are people trying to sell me a HUD with 5 vanity mirrors in it. All I want is a full American version of the WO2 or A8 HUD. No metric crap or maybe one option for either American or Brit measurements.
But instead we have maps, GPS speedometers, turn by turn directions, and who knows what else.
And instead of a $50 price tag, $400 worth of fluff toys that I don't want.
Yes! I know some of you want all of that crap, but many of us don't.

Maurtis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What I don't get is why, after hearing Paul speak about the problems with packaging, are people trying to sell me a HUD with 5 vanity mirrors in it. All I want is a full American version of the WO2 or A8 HUD. No metric crap or maybe one option for either American or Brit measurements.
But instead we have maps, GPS speedometers, turn by turn directions, and who knows what else.
And instead of a $50 price tag, $400 worth of fluff toys that I don't want.
Yes! I know some of you want all of that crap, but many of us don't.

Which is the beauty of the a-la-carte options, those of us that want them pay for and get them. Those that do not are good by default. Since the options are not bundled in packages you can get only what you want.

Unfortunately if no one in America makes what you want, that means either going with something else or going international.

PhreighnQ

Elio Fan
Reaction score

Verizon started using sim cards for LTE. Although the device still needs a radio that will work on Verizon's network.

Top Bottom